PENSACOLA, FL – Senior Jason Sierra clubbed a three-run home run to key a four-run fifth inning as 20th-ranked Florida Southern came back from a 2-1 deficit to defeat No. 19 West Florida, 5-3, here at Jim Spooner Field on the UWF campus Friday in the season opener for both teams. Logan Browning got the win for the Moccasins while Cameron Hanes took the save.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams traded runs in the first inning. Florida Southern took a 1-0 lead in the top of the frame as junior Omar Villaman beat out an infield single in his first at bat as a Moccasins and one out later, scored on a single by Sierra.
- West Florida got the run back in the bottom of the inning as Chase Keifer led off with a single off Florida Southern starter Logan Browning, moved to second on a passed ball, stole third, and scored on a single by Justin Ambrosino.
- The Argonauts went ahead 2-1 in the fourth inning on a lead-off single by Ambrosino and a double by Nick Kermann.
- The Moccasins broke through in the top of the fifth inning as sophomore Pablo Cabrera and junior Cody Burgess drew back-to-back walks to lead off the inning and chase Argonaut starter J.T. Granat. Villaman then greeted reliever Jared Middleton with a single to score Cabrera. One out later, Sierra blasted the first offering he saw from Middleton over the left field fence for a three-run homer to give the Moccasins a 5-2 lead.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern evens it series record with West Florida at 19-19.
- The Moccasins are 44-17 in season openers since 1957.
- The fifth inning homer by Sierra was his 12th round-tripper of his Moccasin career. He finished with four runs batted in on the night.
- Browning worked 5-1/3 innings, allowed a pair of earned runs on five hits, and struck out five while walking one.
- Villaman, Sierra, and Browning each had two hits for the Moccasins while Austin Mauer and Vaun Brown accounted for the other two of Florida Southern's eight hits in the game.
- Moccasin pitchers combined for eight strikeouts.
- Relievers J.T. Hintzen, Mitch McCarty, and Cameron Hanes combined fof 3-2/3 shutout innings of no-hit baseball with three strikeouts and a walk.
- The same two teams go at it again Saturday for a doubleheader at 1 p.m. ET at Jim Spooner Field on the UWF campus.
- The Moccasins open their home season on Friday, Feb. 10 at Henley Field with a 6 p.m. game against Delta State.