LAKELAND – Junior Logan Brown struck out five for a second consecutive start, but in the end, Delta State prevailed for a 4-1 victory over the 20th-ranked Moccasins in the FSC home opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Delta State grabbed a 1-0 lead in the first on a two-out homer by Brian Lane off Browning (1-1)
- Florida Southern tied it in the fourth on Jason Sierra's second homer of the season, this one coming off Statesmen starter Corey Beard (1-0). The Moccasins had a chance to take the lead later in the inning when Austin Mauer doubled and moved to third on a passed ball, but he was left standing on third.
- The Moccasins threatened in the seventh when Mauer collected his second base hit and Ryan Frost singled an out later. Both runners advanced when Pablo Cabrera reached on a fielder's choice with all runners winding up safe to load the bases, but reliever Zach Osbon got back-to-back strikeouts to end the threat.
- The final Statesmen run came in the ninth on RBI-single by Jason Popovich.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Browning worked 7-2/3 innings and held Delta State to three runs – two earned – on just three hits.
- Hintzen struck out four in 1-1/3 innings.
- Delta State takes a 9-8 lead in the series.
- The two pitching staffs combined for 20 strikeouts with 11 coming on a called third strike.
- Florida Southern plays the University of Mount Olive at noon Saturday at Henley Field with a second game against Delta State at 3:30 p.m. Mount Olive and Delta State will cap a busy day at Henley Field with a third game at 7 p.m.
- The Moccasins will play again on Sunday at 1 p.m. against Mount Olive at Henley Field.