LAKELAND – Mount Olive used a six-run seventh inning blow open a 2-2 tie and hand Florida Southern a 12-2 loss in the early game on Saturday at Henley Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mount Olive (4-0) jumped ahead 2-0 in the top of the first on a two-run homer by David Mayo off Florida Southern starter A.J. Smith.
- Florida Southern (3-2) tied the in the bottom of the fourth on Logan Browning's first homer of the season, a solo shot to right field.
- The Trojans then erupted for six runs in the top of the seventh inning on five hits. Jack Sherrill got the ball rolling with a two-run double while pinch-hitter Zach Monzingo blasted a three-run homer to right field. Gunner Tolston followed with a pinch-hit solo home run for the 8-2 lead.
- Mount Olive capped the scoring with four more runs in the top of the eighth inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- With win, Mount Olive evens the overall series between the two clubs at five games a piece.
- The top seven batters in the Moccasin order each had at least one base hit with Austin Mauer collecting pair of singles.
- FSC starter A.J. Smith worked 6-1/3 innings and allowed three runs on six hits with six strikeouts.
- Reliever J.J. Niekro worked the final 1-2/3 innings for Florida Southern and held Mount Olive scoreless on one hit with a pair of strikeouts.
- These same two teams play again Sunday at 1 p.m. at Henley Field.