LAKELAND – Sophomore Chase Pilato scattered four hits and struck out four over 7.0 innings of shutout ball while his teammates turned the first triple play since 2014 as Florida Southern shutout Delta State 13-0 on Saturday at Henley Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern took a 1-0 lead in the first with an unearned run.
- The Moccasins (4-2) added a solo run in the fourth on a RBI-single by Christian Maglich.
- Florida Southern turned the triple play in the third inning after Delta State led off the frame with back-to-back singles by Juwan Burney and Justin Nussbaum. Jason Popovich then lined out to Omar Villaman at shortstop who tagged second to double off Burney and then threw on to Jason Sierra at first base to triple off Nussbaum.
- Sierra cracked his third home run of the season in the fifth inning with Villaman and Cody Burgess aboard.
- Villaman tripled with the bases loaded in the sixth and scored on a single by Mitch Reeves for an 8-0 lead.
- The Moccasins put up a four spot in the bottom of the seventh on a 2-RBI double by Reeves, followed by a sacrifice fly by Sierra. Logan Browning capped the scoring with a single to left field for a 12-0 margin.
- The final Florida Southern came in the eighth on a infield ground out by Pablo Cabrera.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The win once again ties the series with Delta State at 10 games a piece.
- Reliever Tyler Knowles tossed 2.0 shutout innings of no-hit ball with one strikeout to close the game for Florida Southern.
- Sierra finished with four runs batted in while Villaman and Reeves each drove in three runs.
- Reeves led the Moccasins' 16-hit attack with three hits while Villaman, Sierra, and Browning each had two hits.
- The 13-run margin was the Moccasins' biggest win since defeating Eckerd 17-4 on March 24 of last season and was FSC's largest shutout margin since blanking Claflin 17-0 on Feb. 13, 2016.
- Florida Southern travels to Orangeburg, SC next weekend, Feb. 17-19, to play Claflin University in a three-game with all games starting at 1 p.m.