LAKELAND - Senior J.T. Hintzen made his first career start as a Moccasin a memorable one, tossing a complete game three-hitter as Florida Southern downed Tampa, 4-2, to advance to the championship game of the NCAA Division II South Region Tournament held here Tuesday at Henley Field. The two teams will play once again Wednesday at noon in the championship game. The Moccasins (41-9-1) will need to win one more game to advance to the national tournament May 26-June 2 in Cary, NC. Tampa (42-10) advanced to the title game with a 7-1 win late this evening versus Mississippi College.
Hintzen, now 13-0 on the season, struck out four and walked none in limiting the Spartans to a pair of home runs. The complete game marked Hintzen's longest stint of his Florida Southern career. The righthander finished strong, retiring 16 in a row before allowing a single with two outs in the ninth.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern struck first, scoring twice with two outs in the bottom of the first inning. Austin Mauer was plunked with a pitch and Omar Villaman followed with a single to left field. Logan Browning was also struck with an offering from Tampa starter, Kevin Pementel to load the bases. Hayden Marze then laced a liner into left field to drive in Mauer and Villaman to give the Moccasins a 2-0 lead.
- Tampa answered with a two out solo homer by Nick DeTringo in the top of the third inning off Moccasin starter J.T. Hintzen who was making his first career start at Florida Southern.
- Light rains then hit the are and the tarp was pulled onto and off the field after a brief, 27-minute delay.
- The Spartans tied the game at 2-all on a Hanson Bragg one-out homer in the top of the fourth inning.
- Florida Southern added a pair of unearned runs in the bottom of the fifth. Cody Burgess reached on a fielding error while Pablo Carbera hit a fly ball past a diving Richie Rivera in center field that him on third with a RBI-triple. Mauer then hit a long foul ball that was caught by the first baseman running with his back to the field. Cabrera scampered home on the play as Mauer was credited with an RBI. Villaman followed with a single to chase Pementel in favor of Mark Moclair.
- Christian Maglich made the catch of the year for the Moccasins, leaping waist-high above the left field fence to run Tampa's Nick DeTringo of a certain home run to lead off the ninth inning.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern is now 149-78 in NCAA postseason play and is 44-32 versus Nova Southeastern including a 3-1 record this season.
- The 13 wins by Hintzen is tied for the fifth-most in a single season by a Moccasin pitcher.
- Villaman collected two of the five hits by the Moccasins in the contest.
- Maglich was held hitless in three at-bats to see his 15-game hitting streak come to an end.
NCAA DIVISION II BASEBALL SOUTH REGION BASEBALL TOURNAMENT
- GM 01 - #2 Tampa 12, #7 Albany State 2
- GM 02 - #3 Delta State 13, #6 Mississippi College 3
- GM 03 - #4 Nova Southeastern 12, #5 Montevallo 7
- GM 04 - Mississippi College 6, Albany State 3 (Albany State eliminated)
- GM 05 - #1 Florida Southern 5, Nova Southeastern 1
- GM 06 - Tampa 3, Delta State 0
- GM 07 - Mississippi College 5, Nova Southeastern 3 (Nova Southeastern eliminated)
- GM 08 - Delta State 12, Montevallo 3 (Montevallo eliminated)
- GM 09 - Florida Southern 4, Tampa 2
- GM 10 - Delta State vs. Mississippi College
- GM 11 - Tampa vs. Winner Game 10
- GM 12 - Florida Southern vs. Winner Game 11
- GM 13 - (if necessary)