CARY, NC – J.T. Hintzen tossed eight shutout innings while Hayden Marze slammed two homers as Florida Southern eliminated Texas A&M-Kingsville, 8-0, at the 2018 NCAA Division II Baseball National Tournament here at the USA Baseball National Training Complex. The Moccasins (44-10-1) advance to face undefeated Columbus State tomorrow at 10 a.m. (Note new game time). The Javelinas end their season with a 42-17 record.
Hintzen (14-0) struck out five and walked none while holding the Javelinas to three hits. The senior All-American allowed a single in the first and a lead-off single in the second and then retired the next 19 in a row before surrendering a double to Travis Geisner in the 8th inning. Austin Mauer homered in the first for the Moccasins while Marze added homers in the fourth and sixth innings. His first home run broke the Moccasin school record of 20 set by Jhalan Jackson in 2015.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Austin Mauer gave the Moccasins a quick 1-0 lead, hitting his ninth home run of the season with two outs in the top of the first off Javelinas starter Isaiah Lybarger – just the second round-tripper allowed by Lybarger all season. It was Mauer's second homer in as many at-bats as he homered in his last at-bat in the Moccasins' 6-5 loss to Augustana on Sunday. Omar Villaman and Logan Browning followed with back-to-back singles, but Lybarger came back to catch Marze looking at strike three to end the inning.
- Texas A&M-Kingsville had an opportunity to tie the game in the bottom of the second as Christian Caudle led off with a single and one out later advanced on a two-base throwing error on an errant pick-off attempt by Mauer. However, Hintzen got the next two batters to ground out to stop the threat.
- Marze put the Moccasins ahead 2-0 with his record-breaking 21st homer of the season – a towering shot to left field – to lead off the fourth inning.
- Florida Southern added an insurance run in the top of the fifth as Cody Burgess singled and Pablo Cabrera drew a walk to chase Lyberger. Reliever Kyle Craft entered the game and got Mauer to ground into a double play with Burgess moving to third. Villaman then drove in Burgess with his third straight hit and fifth hit in his last six at-bats to push the Moccasins ahead, 3-0.
- Marze went deep again in his second straight at-bat, leading off the fifth inning with his third homer of the tournament and 22nd of the season for a 4-0 Moccasin lead. It is the fourth time since March 23 that Marze has homered twice in the same game.
- The Moccasins had an opportunity to add to their run total in the seventh inning as Browning hit a two-out double and Marze and Teter got on via walks, but all were left stranded.
- Mike Palaez worked the final inning for the Moccasins, allowing just a two-out walk.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern now has a 152-79 record in the NCAA postseason.
- This was the first meeting between Florida Southern and Texas A&M-Kingsville
- Hintzen's appearance was his 32nd of the season which ties him with James Gelb (1987) for fourth-most in Moccasin history. He has now pitched in each of the Moccasins three games at the national tournament and has appeared in five of the six Moccasins postseason games this season. His 14 victories are tied with Danny Greene (1995) for third most for any Moccasin pitcher. The senior All-America struck out five and now has 114 strikeouts on the season.
- Hintzen's five strikeouts give FSC 492 on the season which is second most in Moccasin history, three shy of tying the school record set in FSC's National Championship season in 1995.
- Mauer's shot and Marze's two home runs give the Moccasins 79 on the season, two shy of the FSC record of 81 set by the 2017 squad.
- Florida Southern outhit Texas A&M-Kingsville, 17-3. In addition to Villaman's four hits, Browning had three while four others each had two hits. Villaman, Browning, and Marze each drove in a pair of runs.
- Teter's fifth-inning single extended his hitting streak to 10 games. He has now reached base safely in 16 games
- The game started over an hour late as rains once again fell on the ballpark.
NCAA DIVISION II BASEBALL
- Game 1 - #5 Augustana 5, #4 Southern New Hampshire 2
- Game 2 - #1 Florida Southern 5, #8 Southern Indiana 3
- Game 3 - #3 UC San Diego 4, #6 Texas A&M Kingsville 0
- Game 4 - #2 Columbus State 8, #7 Mercyhurst 1
- Game 5 - Southern New Hampshire 3, Southern Indiana 0 (Southern Indiana eliminated)
- Game 6 - Augustana 6, Florida Southern 5
- Game 7 - Texas A&M Kingsville 9, Mercyhurst 0 (Mercyhurst eliminated)
- Game 8 - Columbus State 6, UC San Deigo 0
- Game 9 - Florida Southern 8, Texas A&M-Kingsville 0 (Texas A&M-Kingsville eliminated)
- Game 10 (May 30, 8 pm) - Southern New Hampshire vs. UC San Diego
- Game 11 (May 31, 10 pm) - Florida Southern vs. Columbus State
- Game 12 (May 31, 2 pm) - Augustana vs. Winner Game 10
- Game 13 - (to be determined)