BOCA RATON, FL - Trevor Castell tossed six scoreless innings and Zach Scott drove in a pair of runs as Florida Southern College baseball shut out Lynn, 7-0, in Sunshine State Conference action on Sunday at the Lynn Baseball Field. The Moccasins (17-11, 3-6 SSC) earned the series victory over the Fighting Knights (15-15, 5-10) by winning the final two games in the series, including Sunday's shutout victory, to win their first SSC series of the season.
Castell struck out nine batters and allowed just five baserunners in his best outing of the year. He issued just two walks and allowed just two hits as J.J. Niekro and Cole Crowder combined to toss three scoreless innings in relief. Scott went 3-for-5 with a home run, his fifth of the year, and Alan Burnsed added a homer of his own as the Mocs earned their second shutout win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern got on the board first when Burnsed hammered a 1-2 pitch over the left field wall to lead off the second inning and give the Mocs a 1-0 lead. After Lynn advanced a runner to second with one out in the bottom of the second, Castell struck out the last two batters to keep the Knights off the board.
- The Mocs would have a golden opportunity to add to their lead in the third and fourth innings with runners on and two outs, but could not capitalize. Lynn loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the fourth, but Castell battled back by recording three-straight swinging strikeouts to preserve the 1-0 lead.
- Southern would strike for five runs in the sixth inning, punctuated by Scott's two-run blast to left. The first three batters of the inning would reach base via the walk for the Moccasins, and Austin Huber delivered with an RBI single to make it 2-0. Vaun Brown drew a bases-loaded walk in the next at-bat to make it 3-0. Despite grounding into a double play, Pablo Cabrera was still able to bring a run in as Isaiah Cullum came in from third on the play to make it 4-0 and Scott homered to empty the bases and give Florida Southern a 6-0 lead.
- The Mocs tacked on one more run when Ryan Frost drew a bases-loaded walk in the eighth to make the final 7-0. Niekro tossed 2.0 innings in relief, allowing just three hits while recording three strikeouts, and Cole Crowder tossed a scoreless ninth to finish the game. The Moccasins outhit the Knights 8-5 as Lynn was forced to use six different pitchers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 57-36 all-time against Lynn, including a 23-17 record in Boca Raton.
- Teter reached base safely for the 28th time this season, while Cullum reached safely for the 12th game in a row.
- Cabrera picked up the 189th hit of his career. He needs 39 more to crack the top 10 in school history in career hits.
- Florida Southern will host back-to-back home series against Embry-Riddle (March 29-31) and Rollins (April 5-7) before heading to Florida Tech (April 12-14).