FT. LAUDERDALE, FL - After a magical run through the Sunshine State Conference Tournament that saw Florida Southern College men's basketball captured its 24th SSC Tournament title, the No. 25 Moccasins (24-7) are set to return to the NCAA Tournament for the 31st time when they face Delta State in the first round of the NCAA South Regional on Saturday at Rick Case Arena in Ft. Lauderdale.
The Mocs enter the South Regional as the No. 2 seed and are one of the hottest teams in the field, having won four straight games. Two of those victories came over then No. 3 Nova Southeastern and then No. 22 Lynn in last week's SSC Tournament. Fans can stay up to date with all the action from the NCAA South Regional by clicking HERE.
• Florida Southern is making its 31st NCAA Tournament appearance this weekend at the South Regional. The Moccasins are 45-31 all-time in the NCAA Tournament. FSC ranks third all-time in Division II in NCAA postseason appearances, behind only Jefferson (36) and Kentucky Wesleyan (39).
• The Mocs' 45 tournament wins are tied with Virginia Union for second all-time in DII. Kentucky Wesleyan has the most NCAA Tournament wins by far with a whopping 93.
• Florida Southern is 1-1 all-time against Delta State in the NCAA Tournament. The Statesmen defeated the Mocs, 72-70, in the first round when the teams last met in the NCAA postseason in 2003. The Moccasins defeated Delta State in the first round in 2000 by a score of 81-55.
• The Mocs have won 10 South Regional titles, with the last coming in 2015 when Florida Southern went on to win the NCAA Division II National Championship.
• Florida Southern has a combined record of 4-1 in the NCAA Tournament against the seven other teams in this year's regional. The Moccasins have faced Alabama-Huntsville (1-0), Delta State (1-1) and Lynn (2-0) in the NCAA postseason.
• This season, Florida Southern played four of the South Regional qualifiers during the regular season. The Mocs went a combined 6-2 against those four teams (1-0 vs. Delta State, 2-1 vs. Lynn, 2-1 vs. Nova Southeastern, 1-0 vs. West Alabama).
• Florida Southern head coach Mike Donnelly is making his fourth NCAA Tournament appearance. He took the Mocs to the postseason last year and went twice at Southern Connecticut State. He took SCSU to the Elite Eight in his fourth season (2013-14). Donnelly is in his fourth season at Florida Southern.