VanDerLaan led the team with a school-record 70.26 stroke average this past season with nine top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. He won the Panther Invitational with a four-under 212 and won the NCAA South/Southeast Super Regional with a 15-under 201. He also finished second at the NCAA DII National Preview and the Sunshine State Conference Championships and took third-place finishes at the Saint Leo Invitational, Southeastern Collegiate, Bobcat Invitational and The Battle at the Shores.
VanDerLaan raked in the postseason awards capped being named as one of 24 honorees on the All-Nicklaus Team, a team honors the best collegiate players in the country from NCAA Divisions I, II and III, as well as the NAIA and NJCAA. He was also a finalist for the Division II Jack Nicklaus National Player of the Year Award.
A PING GCAA 1st-team All-Americas, VanDerLaan was also selected to the PING GCAA All-South Team and was named the SSC Golfer of the Year. Named to the All-SSC 1st Team, he was the SSC Golfer of the Week (9/12/16, 3/13/17) and earned a spot on the SSC Commissioner's Honor Roll. VanDerLaan was also recognized as the Polk County Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year.
Florida Southern capped the year by winning the NCAA Division II National Championship - the program's 13 championship and the 30th overall national championship for the FSC athletic program.
MOCCASIN MOST VALUABLE PLAYERS
- Baseball - Mitch Reeves & Jake Walsh
- Men's Basketball - Michael Volovic
- Women's Basketball - Camille Giardina
- Men's Cross Country - Festus Kemboi
- Women's Cross Country - Allison Wright
- Men's Golf - John VanDerLaan
- Women's Golf - (July 8)
- Men's Lacrosse - (July 9)
- Women's Lacrosse - (July 10)
- Men's Soccer - (July 11)
- Women's Soccer - (July 12)
- Softball - (July 13)
- Men's Swimming - (July 14)
- Women's Swimming - (July 15)
- Men's Tennis - (July 16)
- Women's Tennis - (July 17)
- Men's Track - (July 18)
- Women's Track - (July 19)
- Volleyball - (July 20)
- Men's Water Ski - (July 21)
- Women's Water Ski - (July 22)