WINTER PARK, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse overcame a one-goal halftime deficit to earn a 9-8 road win over Sunshine State Conference rival Rollins on Saturday at Baker Family Stadium.
The Moccasins (7-6, 2-2 SSC) used a dominant third quarter, scoring three times while holding the Tars (7-6, 2-2) scoreless in the third. With the win, Florida Southern snapped a two-game losing streak and stayed in the hunt for a spot in the SSC Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Rollins jumped out to an early 1-0 lead when Connor Ashton scored less than two minutes into the first quarter, but Florida Southern answered back with three-straight goals to snag a 3-1 lead with 11:43 to go in the second quarter.
• Cody Gray got the Moccasins on the board when he scored his fourth goal of the season with 6:19 to go in the first. Nick Gutmann put the Mocs ahead with his seventh goal of the year just four minutes later, and Tyler Kopen scored his 20th goal of the season to give Florida Southern a 3-1 lead with just under 12 minutes to go in the first half.
• The Tars would close out the half on a 3-0 run, scoring the go-ahead goal with just 20 seconds remaining in the second quarter to take a 4-3 lead into the locker room.
• Florida Southern was able to take back the momentum at the start of the third quarter, scoring three-straight to take a 6-4 lead. The Moccasins held the Tars scoreless in the third as Matt Lalli made five saves, while Austen Lison, Dalton Simpson and Liam Winwood found the back of the net.
• In the fourth quarter, Florida Southern extended its lead to as many as three goals (8-5), but Rollins responded with back-to-back goals to make cut the Moccasins' lead to 8-7 with 7:34 to play.
• Kyle Silverstein scored what would be the game-winning goal with 5:12 left to play. The Tars would pull within one (9-8) when they scored with eight seconds left, but Florida Southern was able to win the ensuing faceoff and run out the clock.
• Florida Southern was outshot by a 42-32 tally, but picked up 27 ground balls and won 14-of-21 faceoffs. The Mocs also converted their lone man-up opportunity, while holding the Tars to just 1-of-3.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 8-2 all-time against Rollins, including 2-1 when facing the Tars in Winter Park. The Mocs improved to 5-2 on the road this season.
• Seven different players scored for the Moccasins. Kopen led Florida Southern with two goals, while Cody Dyer tallied a team-best two assists.
• Kopen has scored a goal in seven-straight games, and has score multiple goals in five different games this year. Dyer has tallied at least two assists in three of his last four games.
• Jeff Phelps led the Mocs with six ground balls and went 13-of-19 in the faceoff circle. Austen Lison snagged five ground balls while Colin Bayer finished with four.
• Matt Lalli made 17 saves in goal to pick up his seventh win of the season. He has recorded double-digit saves nine times this season. He has recorded 171 saves this season, the second-highest single-season total in school history.
• Florida Southern caps off the regular season against Lynn at 7 p.m. on April 22. The 2017 Sunshine State Conference Tournament will take place on April 28 (semifinals) and April 30 (championship) with the top four teams in the regular-season standings vying for a spot in the NCAA Division II Tournament.