LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse cruised to an 18-6 victory over Colorado Mesa. The Mocs (6-4, 1-0 SSC) rallied off six straight goals over first two quarters to take take a 6-2 lead at the half over the Mavericks (3-5).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Colorado Mesa pulled out to a 1-0 lead at the 10:01 mark of the first quarter. Less than two minutes later Silverstein tied the game up at 1-1. Florida Southern This would spark a string of six consecutive goals from the Mocs over the first two quarters. Nick Gutmann fired off a feed from Silverstein to give the Mocs a lead they never lost. Bryce Keaton scored the Mocs third goal at the 1:20 mark to close out the scoring of the first quarter.
- Florida Southern continued to extend its lead as Jeff Atlas opened the scoring of the second quarter just eight seconds to put the home team up by three. On the ensuing faceoff, Kevin Horwitz took the ball and gave the Mocs a 5-1 advantage. Carson Wallace took a feed from Atlas for the Mocs sixth consecutive goal. CMU closed out the half with its second goal of the game to make it a 6-2 Mocs lead at the half.
- After the Mocs opened the quarter on a 3-0 run, Colorado Mesa looked to cut into the Mocs lead as they rallied off four of the games next five goals.
- The Mocs closed out the final fifteen minutes holding the Mavericks off the board to secure the win. Silverstein scored the first goal for the Mocs in the quarter and the final goal at the 4:13 mark.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 3-2 all-time against Colorado Mesa. All five games have been in Lakeland.
- Florida Southern picked up 41 groundballs to Colorado Mesa's 33. FSC was 4-for-7 on man-up chances while CMU was successful on one of five man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 11 of the Mavericks 24 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made 14 saves on 20 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern heads south to Palm Beach Atlantic (March 30) to end the month of March. The Mocs will host Tampa (April 3) before heading to Rollins (April 6) and Saint Leo (April 10).