LAKELAND, FL - Dalton Simpson records a career-high six goals as Florida Southern College men's lacrosse closed out the home portion of the 2019 regular season with a 25-16 victory over Embry-Riddle on Moccasin Field on Saturday. The Mocs (8-7, 3-3 SSC) improved to a game above .500 and kept the Eagles (8-8, 0-6 SSC) still searching for its first SSC win of 2019.
Simpson led the Mocs with six goals, while Jeff Atlas led the team with nine points (four goals, five assists). Kyle Silverstein and Joe Appio each recorded three goals while Nick Gutmann and Sean Nolan each found the back of the net twice each. Five additional Mocs tallied goals in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game as Simpson, Appio, and Gutmann each put one in the back of the net for the Mocs. The Eagles cut the Mocs lead to just one over the next two minutes. That would be closest they would get as Florida Southern used a 5-0 run to draw separation from the visitors. ERAU's Mitchell Cody put his second goal of the game past the Mocs goalie to halt the FSC run. Florida Southern would score three more goals within a thirty-second span as Matthew Frey tallied an assist on the Mocs final goal of the first quarter. The Eagles would close out the first quarter with two goals.
- The Eagles opened the second quarter with a goal just ten seconds into the quarter. The game's scoring would stop for the next eight minutes before Simpson ended that with his third goal of the game at the 6:47 mark of the second quarter. Embry-Riddle would put three more in the back of the next to cut the Mocs lead to 13-9. FSC got goals from Liam Winwood and Nolan to jump out to a 14-9 lead late into the first half. ERAU added its tenth goal of the game with 50 seconds remaining in the first half. Florida Southern would take a 14-10 lead into the ten-minute break.
- Florida Southern would rally off a string of four goals to open the second half scoring. The two teams would trade goals as the Mocs got scores from Simpson, Winwood, Appio and Zach Wilson. Silverstein's goal at the 6:10 mark of the third marked the third time this season the Mocs would hit the 20-goal mark in a game. Appio would put the Mocs up 22-14 with just 11 seconds remaining in the third quarter.
- Embry-Riddle scored its first of two goals of the final quarter just 19 seconds into the start of the final frame. Silverstein followed with his third goal of the game at the 9:24 mark of the fourth quarter. At the 9:01 mark Coleman Jacobs tallied the final Eagles goal of the game off a feed from Cody. Simpson closed out his final game on Moccasin Field with the final two goals of the day to give the Mocs a 25-16 victory over the Eagles on Senior Day.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 2-0 all-time against Embry-Riddle. Florida Southern now has victories in both Lakeland and Daytona Beach over the Eagles.
- Florida Southern picked up 29 groundballs to Embry-Riddle's 35. The Mocs were 3-for-5, while the Eagles were 2-for-4 on man-up chances.
- The Mocs caused 11 of the Eagles 21 turnovers.
- The Mocs won 21 faceoffs on the night. Senior Jeff Phelps and Lubonski each won nine faceoffs for the Mocs.
- Florida Southern will close out the regular season at Florida Tech (April 20).