The NCAA Division II National Champion in the 400-IM, Holmes was a bronze medalist in the 200-IM, and his times in those two championship races were Sunshine State Conference records. He also finished ninth in the 500-freestyle, picking up an honorable mention All-American award in that event to go along with his two first-team awards from the individual medley events.
In addition to his two individual medals, Holmes added two silver medals in relay events by swimming legs on the 800-freestyle and 400-medley teams. The junior from Rockledge, Fla. also helped the 400-freestyle relay team finish fifth, bringing his total All-American awards at this year's national meet to six.
Prior to his outstanding performance at the national finals, Holmes won conference titles in the 200- and 400-IM and was runner-up in the 500-freestyle, as well as the fifth-place finisher in the 200-breaststroke. The SSC Swimmer of the Year helped the Moccasins' 800-freestyle and 400-medley relay teams win conference titles too, all of which led to Holmes being named the Men's Swimmer-of-the-Meet. He was the first Moccasin men's swimmer to win that award.
Holmes was also selected to the All-SSC first-team and was a member of the SSC Commissioner's Honor Roll.
The Florida Southern men's swim team took home fourth-place finish at the NCAA Division II National Swimming & Diving Championships in March of this year.
2017-18 MOCCASIN MVP'S
- Baseball - Logan Browning
- Men's Basketball - Jonathan Lawton
- Women's Basketball - Anja Fuchs-Robetin
- Beach Volleyball - Lauren Kenny
- Men's Cross Country - Bobby Ormsby
- Women's Cross Country - Hannah Nelson
- Equestrian - Shona Whitfield
- E-Sports - Wil Fisackerly
- Men's Golf - John VanDerLaan
- Women's Golf - Amanda Gartrell
- Men's Lacrosse - Lucas Claude
- Women's Lacrosse - Meghan O'Brien
- Men's Soccer - Christoph Gums
- Women's Soccer - Helena Norrstrom
- Softball - Shannon Bell
- Men's Swimming - Matthew Holmes
- Women's Swimming - July 24
- Men's Tennis - July 25
- Women's Tennis - July 26
- Men's Track - July 27
- Women's Track - July 30
- Volleyball - July 31
- Men's Water Ski - August 1
- Women's Water Ski - August 2