Oct 26, 2018
TAMPA – Behind three wins from senior Matthew Holmes, and a backstroke sweep from sophomore Brandon Dyck, as 7th-ranked Florida Southern defeated No. 18 Tampa, 148-114 in their Friday night dual meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Moccasins (2-1) won eight of the 12 individual events, with Holmes and Dyck providing five of those wins. They also got victories from Andrew Brown, Dorian Bachlaj, and Nico Campbell, and the 400-freestyle relay team of Carlos Bernotti, Talor Hamilton, Campbell and Holmes closed out the meet with another.
- The Spartans (2-1) won the first two events, the 400-medley relay and 1,000-free, but the Moccasins took the next three with Holmes winning the 200-free, Dyck taking the 100-back, and Brown capturing the 100-breast.
- Tampa responded with back-to-back wins in the 200-fly and 50-free before Holmes and Dyck took charge again, winning the 100-free and 200-back for Florida Southern. Bachlaj then made it three straight wins for the Moccasins in the 200-breast.
- After Tampa won the 500-free, Florida Southern pulled away behind wins from Campbell in the 100-fly and Holmes in the 200-IM.
- Though Tampa won the two distance events, the Mocs got second-place finishes from Ethan Shaw in the 1,000 and Luka Planinc in the 500. Planinc was just 0.25 seconds behind the Spartans' Brian Valedon, while Shaw was four seconds off the pace set by Cole Forbes.
- While Campbell won the 100-fly, Miguel Bernotti was runner-up in both butterfly events, and was 0.35 seconds behind Campbell in the 100. He was less than half a second behind Valdeon in the 200.
- Campbell was also the Mocs' top swimmer in the 50-free, followed closely by Hamilton in third.
- In addition to winning the 200-breast, Bachlaj was second to Brown in the 100, one of three events in which the Moccasins took the top two positions. Campbell and Miguel Bernotti did that in the 100-fly before Holmes and Matias Lopez went 1-2 in the 200-IM, separated by 0.32 seconds.