CLEARWATER, FLA. – Nico Campbell and Matthew Holmes picked up their second medals of the meet, while Holmes and Matias Lopez gave Florida Southern two of the top swimmers in the 400-IM as the Moccasins remained third halfway through the 2018 Spartan Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florida Southern's lead team in the 200-freestyle relay placed fourth, with Talor Hamilton, Holmes, Brandon Dyck, and Campbell posting a time of 1:21.63. That was more than two seconds faster than the Mocs' best time coming into the meet and got them within 0.38 seconds of an NCAA provisional qualifying time. Indian River got the win in 1:20.66, finishing four-tenths of a second ahead of Tampa, and the top four teams all finished within one second of each other.
- The Moccasins had two of the top swimmers in the 400-IM with Holmes finishing third and Lopez fourth. Both of them had their first NCAA "B" times of the season in the 400-IM, Holmes in 3:51.40 and Lopez in 3:52.37. Jarryd Baxter of Indian River State had a winning time of 3:48.41, just a little over one second ahead of Tampa's Brett Saunders, and three seconds ahead of Holmes.
- Two more Moccasins reached the championship final of the 100-butterfly where Dyck placed fifth and Miguel Bernotti was seventh. Dyck's time of 49.28 seconds was a season-best and got him within 0.15 seconds of the NCAA "B" standard, and Bernotti is now 0.45 seconds away from that mark. Nova Southeastern's Magnus Poulsen was the winner in 47.69 seconds, just four one-hundredths of a second ahead of Ruben Van Leeuwen of IRSC.
- One night after a third-place showing in the 50-freestyle, Campbell did even better in the 200-free. His time of 1:37.77 was a new season-best for the Moccasins and gave him a runner-up finish to Joshua Stegen of Indian River, who edged Campbell out by 0.16 seconds. It also improved Campbell's NCAA "B" time and moved him closer to the NCAA automatic qualifying time. Two other Moccasins were in the B final of the 200-freestyle, with Luka Planinc and Charles Gotsch placing third and fourth respectively in that race. Planinc's 1:40.10 gave Florida Southern another NCAA provisional qualifying time in the 200-free, and Gotsch is now less than two-tenths of a second away from that mark.
- The Moccasins ended the night with a bronze medal finish in the 400-medley relay, which was anchored by Campbell, and included Dyck, Dorian Bachlaj, and Miguel Bernotti. They compiled a time of 3:17.26, which was more than five seconds faster than any of their previous meets this season and six-tenths of a second away from the NCAA "B" standard. Indian River State and Saint Leo were first and second respectively in the race, with IRSC posting a winning time of 3:13.98 to finish 2.3 seconds ahead of the Lions.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Holmes hit an NCAA provisional qualifying time in the 50-freestyle by swimming the first leg of the 200-freestyle relay in 20.59 seconds.
- Indian River, which led by just five points when the night began, now leads Tampa by 51 points (517-466), with Florida Southern still third with 312½. The Moccasins are 34 points ahead of Nova Southeastern, and 67½ ahead of fifth-place Saint Leo. Catawba remains sixth with just 41 points overall.
Day three of the Spartan Invitational begins Monday morning with prelims at 10 a.m., and concludes with finals in five events Monday night at 6 p.m.