LAKELAND – A third-inning grand slam by Hannah Carlton provided a large chunk of the scoring, and two pitchers combined to limit Florida Southern to five hits as 4th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic opened a three-game Sunshine State Conference series with a 9-0 win over the Moccasins.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- For the first two innings Friday night, Florida Southern's Jenna Weldon and Palm Beach Atlantic's Ashton Adkins had faced six batters apiece, but the Sailfish (26-2, 19-0 SSC) took control in the top of the third with five runs on only two hits. A hit batter, walk and infield single by Claudia Pizzarelli loaded the bases with two out, and a walk by Michaela Hynes forced in the first run of the game. Carlton then hit the first pitch of her at-bat over the left field fence for her second home run of the season (both of them grand slams) that put PBA up 5-0.
- The Sailfish added two more runs in the top of the fourth on a two-out RBI triple by Magnolia West, who then scored on a bunt single by Pizzarelli. Their final two runs scored in the seventh on a throwing error during a cut-off play following a base hit by Maddie Bertisch.
- Adkins went four innings for the win, improving to 10-1 as she held the Moccasins (22-14, 9-13) to three hits while striking out one and walking one. Jana Wagner pitched the final three innings for her sixth save, allowing two hits with no strikeouts and no walks. They extended Palm Beach Atlantic's school-record winning streak to 23 games.
- Weldon fell to 4-3 with the loss, giving up seven runs on three hits in 3.2 innings. She struck out three and walked four. Aubrey Ehlers went 3.1 innings in relief, allowing two runs (both unearned) on five hits with two strikeouts and one walk.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Makayla Deuberry and Shannon Bell each had two of Florida Southern's five hits, with Bell lifting her average to .445. It was her 13th multi-hit game of the season. Deuberry is now hitting .319 since late February, and .474 in the last seven games. The Moccasins' other hit Friday night came from Desirae Klumpp.
- Pizzarelli went 3-for-4 for PBA, and though Maddie Biggs did not have an official at-bat in the game, she walked twice and was hit by a pitch once.
- The Moccasins had not been shut out since the first game of the season, and it was the 10th shutout of the season for Palm Beach Atlantic.
- Jessica Trana had her career-best 10-game hitting streak end, which had also been the longest current streak in the SSC, but she still reached base with a walk in the fourth inning. The Mocs have had three players this year with hitting streaks of 10 or longer (Bell, Trana, and Zierra Flodman), their most since 2009 when Michelle Tatlock, Sara Lovestrand, and Angela Williams did it.
- Palm Beach Atlantic turned two double plays in the game and got a spectacular catch from West in left center that took an RBI single away from Weldon in the bottom of the fourth.
UP NEXT: Florida Southern and Palm Beach Atlantic complete their series Saturday with a doubleheader at 11 a.m. Those games have been moved up two hours from the original start time.