LAKELAND, FL - Jensen Blassage became the 21st player in program history to score 1,000 career points as Florida Southern College women's basketball cruise past Palm Beach Atlantic, 87-63, in Sunshine State Conference action on Saturday at Jenkins Field House.
The Moccasins (3-1, 2-0 SSC) shot 50.8 percent from the floor and raced out to a 22-10 lead after the first quarter to defeat the Sailfish (0-4, 0-2) for the sixth-straight meeting. Florida Southern will head to St. Augustine on Monday to take on Flagler.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern used a great defensive performance in the first quarter to build a 12-point lead after the first period en route to their third-straight win. The Mocs held Palm Beach Atlantic scoreless for more than four minutes in the opening quarter to turn a 7-4 lead into a 15-4 advantage and took a 22-10 lead into the second quarter.
• In the second period, the Moccasins would never see their lead dip below double digits, extending their advantage to as many as 17 points (38-21) with just over a minute to go in the first half. Blassage would score with eight seconds remaining to give FSC a 41-25 lead at the half.
• After going up by 18 (43-25) when Marta Aranda scored in the opening minute of the second half, the Moccasins hit a cold streak and did not score for another three minutes as the Sailfish were able to pull within nine (43-34). However, Florida Southern was able to regain its footing on offense and scored 17 points over the final six minutes to take a 60-47 lead into the fourth.
• In the final quarter, the Mocs would keep their foot on the gas, outscoring the Sailfish 27-16 over the final 10 minutes to come away with the win. Blassage would hit 1,000 points on the nose when she hit a layup through contact and hit the ensuing free throw with 2:40 left to play and exited the game to a standing ovation from the crowd.
• Florida Southern connected on 33-of-65 field-goal attempts including 8-of-19 from long range and also hit 13-of-17 free-throw attempts. Palm Beach Atlantic finished at 42.9 percent (21-of-49) from the floor and 19-of-26 from the charity stripe but hit just 2-of-10 three-point shots. The Moccasins finished with a 32-30 edge in rebounds and forced 19 turnovers. Anja Fuchs-Robetin led the Mocs with 21 points and snagged 10 rebounds. Blassage scored 16 points and grabbed five boards, while Jaddah Knight added 12 points off the bench.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 21-2 all-time against Palm Beach Atlantic, including 11-1 at home. The Moccasins have won six in a row against the Sailfish and four-straight home games in the series.
• Fuchs-Robeting recorded her fourth double-double of the season, matching her double-double total from her first two seasons combined. Blassage is the 21st player in school history to score 1,000 career points. She needs 16 more to tie Allison Gerdeman (1992-96) for 20th in school history. Tarra Blackwell (1994-98) holds the school record at 2,037 points.
• The Moccasins scored 24 points off turnovers and outscored the Sailfish 40-22 in the paint. Florida Southern never trailed in the game and scored 16 fast break points and 12 second-chance points.
• Florida Southern will face Flagler on the road on Monday at 5:30 p.m. before heading to St. Petersburg for the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic next Friday and Saturday. The Mocs will face Mount Olive on Friday at 1 p.m. and Johnson C. Smith at 1 p.m. on Saturday.