WEST PALM BEACH, FL - Florida Southern College women's basketball scored 29 points off turnovers, and four players scored in double figures in an 86-45 rout of Sunshine State Conference rival Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday at Rubin Arena. The Moccasins (16-3, 10-2 SSC) made nearly half of their field-goal attempts and forced the Sailfish (4-15, 3-10) into 26 turnovers to pick up their ninth-straight victory.
Cheyann Williamson scored a career-high 12 points, while Camille Giardina (22), Anja Fuchs-Robetin (16) and Jensen Blassage (14) also scored in double figures. Florida Southern's nine-game winning streak is its best since 2010-11, then the team won 11-straight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern jumped on top early and never trailed. Giardina made back-to-back buckets on two of the Mocs' first three possessions to set the tone early, and the Moccasins cruised the rest of the way. Giardina put Florida Southern up by 10 (18-8) for the first time on a three-pointer with 4:09 to go in the first quarter.
• The Mocs grabbed their first 20-plus point lead when Giardina hit another three, one of four during the game, to make it 42-20 with just under five minutes to go in the first half. Florida Southern led by 20 points at the half (47-27).
• The third quarter was where the Mocs truly dominated, outscoring the Sailfish 20-4 while limiting PBA to just 2-of-12 from the floor. Florida Southern forced 10 turnovers in the third quarter alone and saw six different players score a bucket to take a commanding 67-31 lead into the fourth quarter. The Moccasins held the Sailfish scoreless for two stretches of four-plus minutes in the third.
• Florida Southern's massive lead after three quarters allowed head coach Betsy Harris to get plenty of time on the floor for her bench players. Each of the four reserves who saw action on Saturday logged at least eight minutes in the fourth quarter, with Williamson scoring half of her points in the game's final period.
• The Moccasins connected on 48.4 percent (30-of-62) of their shots, including 7-of-14 three-pointers, while limiting Palm Beach Atlantic to just 39.6 percent (21-of-53) from the floor and a measly 1-of-10 from long range. Both teams finished with 33 rebounds, but the Mocs committed just eight turnovers while the Sailfish gave it away 26 times.
• Giardina scored a game-high 22 points on 8-of-16 from the floor, while Fuchs-Robetin went 4-of-7 with six rebounds and a pair of blocks. Blassage finished with 14 points on 6-of-8 from the floor and tallied 10 rebounds. Williamson went 5-of-8 from the field and grabbed three rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 22-2 all-time against Palm Beach Atlantic, including 11-1 in West Palm Beach. The Mocs have won seven in a row in the all-time series, with the last four victories coming by double-digit margins. The Mocs' current nine-game winning streak is the best since 2010-11, when Florida Southern won 11 in a row from Feb. 5 to March 11 before falling to Delta State in the second round of the NCAA South Regional.
• Giardina increased her career scoring total to 1,028 points to move into sole possession of 21st place in school history. She needs just 13 more to move into the top-20 all-time. Jensen Blassage pushed her career point total to 1,194 to move into 12th in the FSC record book. Fuchs-Robetin continued her march to 1,000 career points, upping her total to 882.
• Should Fuchs-Robetin hit 1,000 points this season, it would mark the first time in program history that three different players eclipsed the 1,000-point mark in the same year. Blassage accomplished the feat on Nov. 15 against Palm Beach Atlantic, while Giardina joined the club in Wednesday's win over Saint Leo.
• Florida Southern begins a two-game homestand on Wednesday when it faces Eckerd. The Mocs then face Barry at Jenkins Field House on Feb. 3 before heading to Rollins on Wednesday, Feb. 7.