LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's basketball moved on to the Sunshine State Conference Tournament semifinals with a 78-47 victory over Saint Leo on Wednesday night at Jenkins Field House. The Moccasins (23-4) got out to a big lead as they lead as they limited the Lions (13-16) to just five points in the first quarter, and Anja Fuchs-Robetin highlighted the night by becoming the 23rd player in school history to score 1,000 career points.
With the victory, the Moccasins will advance to take on Barry in the SSC semifinals at 5 p.m. on Saturday at Jenkins Field House. The Buccaneers defeated Tampa, 71-68, in the quarterfinal round on Wednesday night, setting up the fifth all-time meeting between the Mocs and Bucs in the SSC Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• The Mocs and Lions both got out to a slow start as the two teams were a combined 0-for-3 in the first two and a half minutes. The Moccasins would open the scoring with a basket from Jirah Ards, and the Moccasin defense was on point in the first quarter as it was able to limit the Lions to just two points in the final five minutes of play. Fuchs-Robetin (8) and Jensen Blassage (6) scored 14 of FSC's 18 points in the first quarter to stake the Mocs to an 18-5 lead after 10 minutes of action.
• In the second quarter, a cold stretch for the Moccasins allowed the Lions to cut the deficit to single digits (30-21) in the closing moments of the period. However, Florida Southern was able to maintain its lead and took a 32-21 advantage into the locker room.
• Florida Southern used a dominant third-quarter effort to grab all the momentum. The Moccasins opened the third quarter with 10-2 run and outscored Saint Leo 32-16 in the period to open up a 27-point lead (64-37) heading into the final period. Fuchs-Robetin's three-pointer with 3:54 to go in the third gave her 20 points on the night and 1,000 for her career. She would score 26 by the end of the game to finish with 1,006 career points.
• The fourth quarter was a chance for Moccasin head coach Betsy Harris to empty her bench and let her remaining reserves experience a conference tournament atmosphere. Fuchs-Robetin led all players in scoring, while Camille Giardina finished with 21 points.
• Florida Southern shot 46.0 percent (29-of-63) on the night, including 6-of-13 from long range. Saint Leo was held to just 34.7 percent (17-of-49) and hit just 3-of-16 three-point attempts. The Moccasins finished with a 41-32 edge in rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 79-10 all-time against Saint Leo, including a 40-4 record when hosting the Lions at Jenkins Field House. Florida Southern now owns an 8-0 record in SSC Tournament games versus the Lions. The Mocs are now 45-25 all-time in SSC Tournament games.
• Fuchs-Robetin is the third Moccasin this season (Jensen Blassage and Camille Giardina) to surpass 1,000 career points.
• The Mocs finished with a 24-18 edge in points in the paint, outscored Saint Leo 19-0 off turnovers, and 12-0 on the fast break. Florida Southern never trailed in the contest and led by as many as 32 points in the fourth quarter.
• The Moccasins will advance to the semifinals of the SSC Tournament and will take on Barry at 5:30 on Saturday. The winner will advance to the SSC championship game at 4 p.m. on Sunday. Both games will be played at Jenkins Field House.