ST. PETERSBURG, FL - Le Moyne used a 28-point fourth period to upset 14th-ranked Florida Southern, 74-67, here Friday at the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic on the James Harley Court at the McArthur Physical Education Center. The Moccasins led 48-46 at the end of the third period, but the Dolphins went on a 15-6 in the opening five minutes of the final stanza to go ahead 61-54. Florida Southern could not recover as Le Moyne made 8-of-10 free throws down the stretch. Both teams exit the contest with identical 3-1 records.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Le Moyne scored the opening basket of the first period and twice took a four-point lead, but Florida Southern managed to overcome cold-shooting to pull within one, 11-10 on a Camille Giardina 3-pointer with 12 ticks left in the period. The Moccasins finished the final seven minutes of the period, connecting on just one of seven field goals, including four missed three-point attempts. The Dolphins didn't fare much better, going 2-for-6 with five turnovers in the same stretch.
- Florida Southern answered in the second period with a 12-5 run to take a four-point lead, 22-18 on a Giardina trey with 5:19 to play. Le Moyne closed the period with a 10-5 run to grab a 28-27 lead at intermission. Giardina finished with eight points in the period to give her 13 at the half while Julia Jenike added six points in the period for the Moccasins.
- After Le Moyne opened the third period with a three-pointer and a jumper for a 33-27 lead, Florida Southern came back on layups from Ards and Ashley Shell while Jenike added her third trey of the game as the Moccasins went ahead by one, 34-33, with 6:30 left. After the two teams traded leads, Fuchs-Robetin converted on a three-point play as Florida Southern held on to the lead the remainder of the period to take the 48-46 lead.
- Le Moyne opened the final period with a layup by Corinne Poitevien to knot the score at 48-48. However, Poitevien would be charged with a technical foul moments later and Fuchs-Robetin converted the two technical free throws while Mercedez Claybrone, who was fouled on the play, made her two free throws for a 52-48 Moccasin lead. The Dolphins countered with an 11-2 run over the next three-plus minutes to take the lead back, 61-54. Florida Southern would clip away at the lead, pulling within three, 61-58 on a layup by Fuchs-Robetin and a jumper by Ards. The Moccasins were then forced to foul sending the Dolphins to the free throw line 10 times.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- This was the first meeting between the two schools.
- The loss was just the third in the last 24 games for Florida Southern dating back to last season.
- Giardina's 17 points give her 1,351 on her career while Fuchs-Robetin's 16 points increased her total to 1,110 on her career. Fuchs-Robetin pulled down a game-high seven rebounds while Ards and Giardina each had four assists.
- Mckayla Roberts led Le Moyne with a game-high 28 points while Madison Purcell was the lone other Dolphin in double figures with 10.
- Florida Southern converted on 39.6 percent of its field goals and was just 6-of-21 from beyond the three-point arc. The Moccasins shot 19-of-22 from the free throw line.
- Le Moyne connected on 48.2 percent of its field goals and made 15-of-21 free throws. The Dolphins out-rebounded the Moccasins, 37-27.
- Florida Southern continues to play in the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic, taking on Daeman Saturday at 1 p.m. in St. Petersburg.
- The Moccasins return home on Wednesday, Nov. 28 for the Sunshine State Conference opener at 5:30 p.m. against Tampa.