LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's lacrosse poured in 12 second-half goals in a 21-10 thrashing of visiting Seton Hill on Saturday at Bryant Stadium.
The No. 5 Moccasins (11-2) picked up their eighth-straigt victory, and scored 20 goals for the fourth time this season as they defeated the Griffins (2-4) for the third-straight time.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern got off to a quick start by scoring three times in the first four minutes of play. Meghan O'Brien scored the games first two goals, while Kendall Kerge put the Mocs up 3-0 with 24:46 to go in the first half.
• Seton Hill got on the board at the 20:58 mark to pull within two, but O'Brien answered with her third goal of the game to push the lead back to three (4-1) with 18:59 to go.
• The Griffins were able to get within one when they scored twice in the next four minutes to make it 4-3, but Casey O'Brien scored her 12th goal of the season at the 14:23 mark to stretch the lead back to two.
• After Seton Hilll scored again to cut the deficit to one (5-4) with 14:19 on the clock, but the Moccasins ripped off four-straight goals to close out the half and take a 9-4 lead into the locker room.
• The Griffins came out of the break on fire, scoring three times in the opening four minutes of the second half to pull within two (9-7), but it was all the closer Seton Hill would get as the Mocs outscored the Griffins 12-3 the rest of the way.
• Florida Southern's scoring outburst included a stretch of five-straight goals and another string of four goals in a row. The Moccasins finished with a 35-18 edge in shots, forced 15 turnovers, and converted 3-of-5 free-position attempts.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 3-0 all-time against Seton Hill, including 2-0 at home. The Mocs moved to 57-11 all-time in home games, including 35-1 in the month of March. Florida Southern is 48-6 all-time in games played in March.
• Meghan O'Brien led all players with five goals to bring her season total to 32. She has scored multiple goals in 10 games this year, and had a hat trick in eight games. O'Brien also tallied her 17th assist of the season.
• Kerge scored four goals to push her season total to a team-high 34. She has also scored at least two goals in 10 games this year, and recorded a hat trick seven times.
• Casey O'Brien scored three goals to up her season total to 14. Julia Couch, Shannon Gilfedder, Emily Santoli and Cayla Shawfield each scored two goals. Santoli had three assists, while Dani Bursinger also recorded three assists and won eight draw controls.
• Florida Southern has outscored opponents 136-64 in home games this season. The Moccasins have won 18 of their last 19 home games dating back to last year, and have never lost to an unranked opponent at home.
• Florida Southern opens Sunshine State Conference play on March 25 at Saint Leo, and will play its first SSC home game on April 1 against Florida Tech. The Moccasins have three home games remaining this season.