LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's soccer and Delta State both scored a goal in regulation as they played 110 minutes to a 1-1 draw. Caitlyn Lowery recorded her first collegiate goal in the 43rd minute to give the Mocs (2-3-1) the lead. In the second half Delta State (1-1-1) recorded the equalizer in the 51st minute.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Delta State had the games first shot as Camilla Sevillano fired a shot wide right of the goal. The Mocs would answer with a shot on goal of their own a minute and a half later as freshman Haley Rounsifer attempted to put the ball past the Lady Statesmen's keeper Amanda Hillard.
- With the pressure on the Delta State defense, Anna Griessler put a corner kick in perfect position for Jax Wantlin to score however Hillard was right there to keep the game scoreless.
- Shortly after a predetermined first-half water break, Delta State was awarded a corner kick. Delta State's Jasmine Magill attempted to put the ball in the goal but was denied on a clutch block by a perfectly positioned Tatum Albrecht. Addison Mills' with a second chance tried to break the scoreless tie but freshman Tori Routt recovered to make a save on the play.
- Just under two minutes after entering the game, C. Lowery put her self in the perfect position to give the Mocs a 1-0 lead in the 43rd minute. Senior Gaelyn Crowder headed the ball to an open Chloe Hamm who in turn immediately passed the ball to the open C. Lowery for her first collegiate goal.
- Looking to put the Mocs up by a pair, Erin Cagle fired off a shot that was saved as time expired to end the first half.
- In the 48th minute, Greissler fired off back-to-back shots right at Hillard.
- After Delta State was awarded a corner kick, Chelsie Hurren was in prime position on the left side of the goal to knock the ball in for the equalizer in the 51st minute.
- Both Florida Southern and Delta State had numerous chances to take the lead but neither was able to find the back of the net.
- The Mocs took control of the first overtime period as Greissler put a corner kick right in front of the goal for Rachel Peck who saw her shot blocked. Similar to Delta State's corner kick in the first half, the Mocs had a second chance as a shot off the foot of Albrecht was put high over the goal.
- Both teams fired off a shot in the second overtime period only to see both shots go wide of the goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- C. Lowery recorded her first collegiate goal. She became the fourth Moccasin to record her first collegiate goal this season.
- This match marked the first meeting between the two programs.
- Senior Gaelyn Crowder started her 36th consecutive match, a streak that dates back to Oct. 21, 2015.
- The Mocs fired off 20 shots, as compared to the Lady Statesmen's 11. Florida Southern had nine corner kicks, unable to convert any into a goal, while Delta State was able to convert one of their five corners into a score.
The Moccasins will open SSC play when they host Lynn (Sept. 15) on Saturday at Moccasin Field. Then they travel to Rollins (Sept. 19) before hosting Saint Leo (Sept. 22) and Tampa (Sept. 29) in Lakeland to close out September.