TAMPA – Haley DeGrace picked up a win in the 200-breaststroke and a runner-up finish in the 100, but 5th-ranked Tampa ended up with 13 wins in the meet to post a 171-84 victory over No. 17 Florida Southern in their dual meet Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Spartans (3-0) jumped out to the early lead when their A and B 400-medley relay teams finished first and second respectively, they also took the top two positions in the first three individual events. DeGrace broke that string by placing second in the 100-breast, 0.72 seconds behind Tampa's Lisa Bazarova. The senior All-American then defeated Anja Oca in the 200 by 1.3 seconds.
- During the second half of the meet, the Moccasins (1-2) got runner-up points from Kyra Fraser in the 200-backstroke, Katie Moore in the 500-freestyle, Kimmy Chang in the 100-butterfly, and Malin Wallen in the 200-IM. The 400-freestyle relay team of Krystal Karas, Grace Sill, Rebeka Dics, and Wallen did the same to close out the meet.
- Karas was also the Moccasins' top performer in the 200-free, 50-free, and 100-free, while Moore paced the Mocs in the 500 and 1,000.
- The two backstroke events saw Fraser take second in the 200, and Maria Di Bella finish third in both the 100 and 200.
- Chang and Dics were the top butterfly swimmers, Chang with her runner-up finish in the 100, and Dics in the 200.
Florida Southern will be on the road next Saturday with a 10 a.m. dual meet at Division I Florida State.