CLEARWATER, FLA. – Katie Moore earned her second top-three freestyle finish in as many nights while backstroke swimmers Kyra Fraser, Maria Di Bella and Mallary Meyer posted their best times of the season in either the A or B finals, keeping Florida Southern ahead of Saint Leo in the team standings in fourth place overall at the Spartan Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After winning the 200-freestyle on Sunday night, Moore came back on Monday to finish third in the 500. The senior had the fastest time in the meet during prelims at 4:55.00 before turning in a 4:57.80 during the finals session. That put her 3.95 seconds behind the winner, Sule Van Der Merwe of Indian River State, and 2.14 seconds behind runner-up Emma Sundstedt from Nova Southeastern. Both of Moore's times were her best of the season and NCAA "B" times as well. Though Moore was the only Moccasin to score points in the 500, Saint Leo had no one reach either the A or B finals, allowing Florida Southern to expand its lead over the Lions for fourth place.
- Florida Southern had three swimmers score in the 100-backstroke, led by Fraser in sixth place with a time of 57.97 seconds. In the B final of the 100-backstroke, the Mocs got a second-place finish from Di Bella and a third-place finish from Meyer, just 0.04 seconds apart. Di Bella's time of 57.82 seconds, and Meyer's 57.86 were the fastest for Florida Southern this year, leaving them a little over one second away from an NCAA qualifying time. Nova Southeastern's Jenna Johns won the 100-back in 55.39 seconds, with the Sharks taking second too.
- The Moccasins were led by Haley DeGrace in the 100-breaststroke where she finished fifth in 1:04.43, though she was the only Moccasin to score in that event. Savanna Best of Indian River won in 1:03.18, edging out Lisa Bazarova of Tampa by 0.18 seconds.
- Madelyn Snodgrass and Rebeka Dics were Florida Southern's top swimmers in the 200-butterfly, reaching the B final where Snodgrass posted her best time of the season. Tampa's Courtney Sherwood won the 200-fly in 2:03.01, just half a second faster than Indian River's Camryn Hudson.
- The night ended with the Moccasins' A team in the 800-freestyle relay comprised of Moore, Erin McCann, Grace Sill and Allison Greenwood finishing ninth in 7:49.81. Tampa won the relay in 7:30.55, a little over five seconds ahead of Nova Southeastern and just over nine seconds ahead of Indian River.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tampa remains in the lead in the team standings with 991 points, followed by Nova Southeastern with 710, and Indian River State with 529. Florida Southern has 247 points, Saint Leo has 193, and Catawba has 117.
- Individually, Moore and Fraser are the Moccasins top scorers with 48 and 21 points respectively.
The Spartan Invitational concludes with five events on Tuesday night at the Long Center. Prelims are Tuesday morning at 9:30, and the finals session begins at 5 p.m.