LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College volleyball rolled to another straight-set victory in a 3-0 win over Eckerd College on Tuesday night at Jenkins Field House. The Moccasins (6-5, 3-0 SSC) rolled past the Tritons (4-3, 0-3 SSC) and extended their winning streak to three-straight, all of which have come against Sunshine State Conference opponents.
Tuesday marked the Mocs final home contest for nearly a month. Florida Southern is on the road for its next five SSC matches, which include showdowns with No. 4 Palm Beach Atlantic (Sept. 30) and No. 20 Saint Leo (Oct. 10), before playing three matches against South Region foes at the GSC/SSC Crossover from Oct. 13-14. FSC does not return to Jenkins Field House until an Oct. 17 meeting with Saint Leo.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern raced out to a 4-0 lead in the first set thanks to four errors by the Tritons, two of which came on attacks while two more came on sets. Eckerd was able to battle back to pull within one (5-4), but the Moccasins took back momentum with an 11-2 run that opened up a double-digit lead (16-6) and forced the Tritons to take a timeout. It was all FSC the rest of the way as the Mocs never led by less than nine for the remainder of the set, grabbing a 25-10 first-set win.
• In the second set, the Tritons took an early 4-2 lead, but Florida Southern stormed back with seven-straight points to grab a 9-4 lead. After Eckerd called timeout, the Tritons were able to reel off a quick 3-0 run to pull within two (9-7). FSC was able to gain some separation midway through the set, but Eckerd trimmed the deficit back to two (18-16) in the late stages of the second set. That's when the Moccasins put their foot on the pedal and ripped off four-straight points to seize back the momentum en route to a 25-17 victory in the second set.
• The final set proved to be the closest of the evening as the Mocs came out with a 25-19 win, but Florida Southern never trailed in the set. After the Tritons tied things at 15-15, the Moccasins scored four points in a row. It would prove to be the push that FSC needed as it finished off the third set for its second-straight sweep over a conference foe.
• Anna Tovo led Florida Southern with eight kills, while Rachael Martin and Nicole Mattson leach tallied six. Martin also added three solo blocks and two block assists and Bethany Besancenez tallied 23 assists. The Mocs hit .274 on the attack and held Eckerd to -.159.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 72-10 all-time against Eckerd, including a 38-3 mark when facing the Tritons at home. FSC's back-to-back sweeps mark the first time since 2015 that the Moccasins have swept SSC opponents in consecutive matches. The Mocs defeated Lynn (Sept. 25, 2015) and Nova Southeastern (Sept. 26, 2015) by 3-0 scores.
• Besancenez improved her career assist total to 2,831 and needs just 169 more to become just the ninth player in program history to record 3,000 assists. Allie Geary recorded four blocks on Tuesday to push her career total to 293. She needs 26 more total blocks to enter the top 10 in the FSC record books. Tovo now has 1,245 kills and 955 digs and needs just 45 more digs to become the ninth player in school history with 1,000 kills and 1,000 digs in her career. She is also 24 kills away from entering the all-time top 10 in school history.
• Florida Southern hits the road for a pair of conference contests this weekend at Rollins (Sept. 29) and No. 4 Palm Beach Atlantic (Sept. 30). The Mocs will then travel to Florida Tech (Oct. 6), Embry-Riddle (Oct. 7) and Saint Leo (Oct. 10) before heading to the GSC/SSC Crossover from Oct. 13-14.