ORANGEBURG, SC – One day after clubbing five homers, 20th-ranked Florida Southern hit four more in a 25-7 rout of Claflin here Saturday at Mirmow Field. Omar Villaman, Cody Burgess, Mitch Reeves, and Evan Barnes all went deep for the Moccasins who plated the most runs in a game since defeating Warner 26-13 on March 27, 2015. Burgess, Villaman, Barnes, and Christian Maglich all had four hits as Florida Southern outhit Claflin, 20-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern (7-2) scored twice in the top of the first inning on a RBI-single by Jason Sierra and a sacrifice fly by Logan Browning. Claflin (1-9) answered with one run in the bottom of the inning.
- Villaman led off the top off the third with his first home run of the season and Sierra followed with a double to drive in another Moccasin run. After a walk, Barnes doubled in a run and another Moccasin tally came across on a infield ground out. Pablo Cabrera plated the fifth run of the inning with a sacrifice fly, while Cody Burgess followed with a two-run homer, his fourth round-tripper in two games.
- Claflin came back with a grand slam by Rashad Webster in the bottom of the fourth to pull the Panthers within four, 9-5.
- The Moccasins then exploded for six runs in the top of the fifth frame. The first two were unearned while a third came across on a single by Villaman. Two outs and a walk later, Barnes crushed a three-run homer, his first of the season, to push the Moccasins out to a 15-5 lead.
- After Claflin score twice in the bottom of the fifth, Florida Southern added an unearned run in the top of the sixth inning.
- In the top of the seventh, Maglich doubled in three runs while Burgess drove in a run on a infield ground out and Villaman singled in another run. Reeves then capped the scoring with a three-run homer, his third home in the last two games to a 24-7 Moccasins lead.
- The final Moccasin run came in the seventh as Vaun Brown singled and eventually scored on a single by Ryan Frost.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Moccasins have now won all 11 meetings with Claflin.
- With the 27 runs scored today, Florida Southern has outscored its opponents 56-8 in the last five games.
- Burgess had three hits, including the homer and a double, scored five runs, and drove in four more out of the lead-off spot for Florida Southern.
- In addition to four hits, Villman scored four runs and drove in three, while Reeves scored twice and drove in three. Sierra had three hits (including a pair of doubles), scored twice, and plated two runs as the top four batters in the Moccasin batting order combined for 12 hits, 13 runs scored, and 12 RBI.
- Logan Browning had a single, walked twice, and scored three runs while Barnes finished with three hits, two runs scored, and four RBI. Maglich drove in four runs and had two doubles and two runs while Brown added two hits and four runs scored.
- A.J. Smith (2-1) pitched two scoreless innings of one-hit ball to pick up the win for Florida Southern while Craig Savage, Cameron Hanes, and Jake Kinney combined for three scoreless, no-hit innings, with Savage striking out the side in his one inning.
- Florida Southern concludes its three-game series at Claflin with a 1 p.m. game on Sunday. The Moccasins will play their annual Spring Training exhibition game against the Detroit Tigers on Thursday, Feb. 23 at 1:05 p.m. at the newly renovated Publix Field at Joker Marchant Stadium.