LAKELAND, FL - Hayden Marze hit a grand slam and Jacob Teter added a three-run homer in a 7-5 game one win while Cody Burgess clubbed a pair of homers in a 4-1 game two victory as 19th ranked Florida Southern swept a Saturday doubleheader from West Florida here at Henley Field. The wins are the sixth and seventh straight by FSC over UWF.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME ONE
- After West Florida took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning on a hit and two Florida Southern errors, the Moccasins loaded the bases in the bottom half of the frame on a hit batter and back-to-back walks. Marze then followed with a grand slam off West Florida starter, Jared Middleton, over the right field fence for a 4-1 Moccasin lead.
- The Argonauts took advantage of three more defensive miscues by the Moccasins to tie the score on three unearned runs on one hit in the third inning.
- Florida Southern took the lead back once again in the sixth off UWF reliever Hunter Lucas. Omar Villaman greeted the new pitcher with a single to start the rally while one out later Marze drew a walk. After a strikeout, Teter rocked a pitch over the right field fence for a three-run homer and a 7-4 lead.
- West Florida added a solo run in the ninth on a two-out homer by Nic Strasser.
- Sophomore Trevor Castell worked 6.0 innings for Florida Southern and allowed four unearned runs while striking out six and walking none in his first collegiate start. Cole Crowder came on relief to start the seventh and worked 1-1/3 hitless innings to pick up the win while Leo Rodriguez worked the final 1-2/3 frames to earn his second save in as many appearances.
HOW IT HAPPENED - GAME TWO
- Burgess led off the first inning with a homer to right field and also led off the third with a blast over the left field fence to give FSC a 2-0 lead.
- Nick Kerkmann hit a one-out homer in the fourth inning off of Florida Southern starter J.J. Niekro (1-0), who worked 6.0 innings, allowing one run on five hits with three strikeouts.
- The Moccasins added a solo run in the fifth frame as Pablo Cabrera doubled to right center to start the inning and came across to score on a single by Austin Mauer.
- The final Florida Southern run came in the sixth as Alex Goebel had a two-base hit to start the inning and then scored on back-o-back singles by Teter and Dylan Costa.
- Mike Palaez tossed a scoreless seventh to pick up the save for Florida Southern.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 24-19 against West Florida, including a 16-7 mark at Henley Field.
- Cabrera had a base hit in both games to extend his hitting streak to 13 games dating back to last season.
- Marze's grand slam was the first for the Moccasins in the young season. FSC hit five grand slams in 2017 as the team set a school record with 81 home runs.
- Today marked the second time Burgess has hit two or more homers in a game. He had three round-trippers in the Mocs' 25-7 win at Claflin on Feb. 17, 2017. He also hit home runs in back-to-back at bats in that contest as well.
- Burgess was also the last Moccasin to lead off a game with a homer when he accomplished the feat in game one of a doubleheader at Florida Tech on March 11, 2017.
- Florida Southern plays a non-conference game at Eckerd on Tuesday at 6 p.m.