LAKELAND - Cody Burgess continued his torrid play by homering for a third straight game and scoring four runs as third-ranked Florida Southern topped No. 11 Flagler, 8-2, here Wednesday at Henley Field. The win is the Moccasins' fifth in a row and improves the team's record to 22-2-1 while Flagler falls to 23-5.
Burgess doubled in the first inning, walked in the third, hit a three-run homer in the fourth and singled again in the sixth to extend his hit streak to six games. He scored four runs for Florida Southern for a second straight game and has scored 10 runs in his last three contests.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pablo Cabrera drove in Burgess in the first inning with a sacrifice fly to give the Moccasins a 1-0 lead.
- After Flagler tied the game in the top of the second off Moccasin starter Matt Martin (3-1), Burgess walked to lead off the third and moved to third on an errant pickoff. Cabrera again knocked in Burgess with a single to right field and later scored on an infield groundout by Omar Villaman.
- The Saints added a solo run in the top of the fourth, but the Moccasins added three unearned runs in the bottom of the frame. Christian Maglich started the inning by drawing a walk off Flagler starter Trey Frazier (0-1) while Jacob Teter reached on an error. Two outs later, Burgess smacked his team-leading eighth home run of the season for a 6-2 lead.
- It was Burgess crossing the plate for the Moccasins once again in the eighth. He reached on an error to start the frame, stole second and third and came home on a wild pitch. Cabrera then walked, stole second and eventually scored on an infield groundout by Villaman.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- This is the 31st meeting between Florida Southern and Flagler. The Moccasins now lead the series, 21-10, and have swept the season series with the Saints as FSC won 2-1 in the first meeting last week in St. Augustine.
- Burgess, Cabrera, Maglich, and Logan Browning all extended their respective hit streaks to six games.
- Burgess' home run gives the Moccasins 38 round-trippers on the season. The shot was the 22nd of his career, tying Burgess with six others for the ninth place on the FSC all-time list.
- Browning had three singles on the night and has now reached base successfully in a team-best 17 games.
- Florida Southern returns to Sunshine State Conference with a three-game home series versus Lynn this Friday and Saturday. Game one of the series is Friday at 6 p.m. with a 1 p.m. doubleheader on Saturday.