ORANGEBURG, SC - Matt Martin turned in a solid start, Thomas Spinelli shined in relief, and Jacob Teter continued his hot streak at the plate as Florida Southern College baseball picked up its fourth-straight win in a 6-1 victory over Claflin on Saturday at historic Mirmow Field. The Moccasins (11-8) plated two runs in the first inning and never trailed as they defeated the Panthers (12-6) for the second straight day.
Martin (3-2) picked up the win by allowing just one run on five hits in 5.0 innings of work, and Spinelli earned his first career save by allowing just one hit and striking out five batters in 4.0 innings. Jacob Teter hit his fifth homer of the season and finished with four RBI in a 3-for-4 effort at the plate to lead the Moccasin offense. The teams will conclude their three-game series on Sunday with a 1 p.m. contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Florida Southern got off to a fast start as Teter launched a two-run homer after Ricky Gonzalez singled with two out to give the Moccasins a 2-0 lead. Claflin scored its first run on a sacrifice fly in the fifth, but the Mocs' pitching staff was on point all night. After being held scoreless since the first inning, Florida Southern came to life again in the seventh when Gonzalez hit an RBI double and Teter plated two more on a two-run single to make it 5-1.
- Colin Camarigg added an insurance run in the eighth with an RBI single of his own. Camarigg, Gonzalez, and Zach Scott each had two hits, Vaun Brown and Zach Diewert each recorded a stolen base.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 14-0 all-time against Claflin, including an 8-0 mark when facing the Panthers on the road. The team have met for a three-game series in each of the previous four seasons. This is the second-straight year that the Mocs have gone on the road to face Claflin. Moccasin head coach Lance Niekro pushed his career win total to 198-123-1 and needs just two wins to hit 200 for his career.
- Spinelli continued his dominance out of the bullpen. In five appearances this season, Spinelli has yet to allow a run and has only surrendered six hits in 16.0 innings of work. He has struck out 21 and walked just eight.
- Teter has now reached base safely in all 19 games this year and has hit safely in each of the last nine games. He is batting .471 with five homers, eight runs scored, and 18 RBI during his hitting streak. He has also drawn five walks and has four multi-hit games during that stretch.
- Florida Southern and Claflin will conclude their three-game series with a 1 p.m. contest on Sunday. Florida Southern will host Flagler at home on March 12 (6 p.m.) before playing its next seven on the road.