LAKELAND, FL – The Florida Southern College eSports Hearthstone team started its season on a high note Monday night with a 3-1 victory over University of Pikeville. The Moccasins rebounded from a game one loss to win three games straight and seal the match.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams brought Murloc Paladin, Spiteful Priest and Secret Mage decks with the Mocs additionally featuring a Zoo Warlock and Pikeville a Control Warlock. The Mocs banned Murloc Paladin and the Bears banned Spiteful Priest.
- Game One pitted the Mocs' Murloc Paladin against the Bears' Control Warlock. The Bears used the favorable matchup to their advantage by clearing the board in the early game. The Mocs conceded the game after the Bears played N'Zoth, the Corrupter and reestablished their board.
- Game Two saw the Mocs rebound with a Murloc Paladin win over the Bears' Secret Mage. With no AoE (Area of Effect) spells to clear the Florida Southern's board, Pikeville was unable to escape the early game. The Mocs dealt the lethal blow on turn eight.
- In Game Three the Mocs continued to pick up steam and won with a Zoo Warlock deck against the Bears' Spiteful Priest deck. A slight advantage in matchup for the Moccasins proved the deciding factor as the Bears were again unable to clear the board. Florida Southern won in six turns.
- The Moccasins sealed the match in Game Four when their Secret Mage beat out the Bears' Spiteful Priest. Pikeville had the matchup advantage but the Mocs played Aluneth turn six and gained a heavy card-in-hand advantage. This play proved to be the deciding factor as the Moccasins were able to draw into board clears and swing tempo their way.
The Mocs are back in action on Tuesday night at 9 p.m. against St. Clair College. Fans can tune in to the official Florida Southern College Twitch channel to watch the match.
(Mocs) Murloc Paladin vs. Control Warlock (Bears)
(Mocs) Murloc Paladin vs. Secret Mage (Bears)
(Mocs) Zoo Warlock vs. Spiteful Priest (Bears)
(Mocs) Secret Mage vs. Spiteful Priest (Bears)