LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse fell to Lynn on Senior Night, leaving its postseason fate in the hands of a three-way coin flip. A trio of Sunshine State Conference teams (FSC, Lynn, Rollins) finished in a three-way tie for the third in the final regular-season standings, meaning one of the three will be eliminated via coin flip on Sunday at noon.
The Moccasins (7-7, 2-3 SSC) jumped out to a 2-0 lead against the Knights (6-6, 2-3), but Lynn scored five-straight goals to seize momentum and never surrendered the lead.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Lucas Claude got Florida Southern on the board first when he took a pass from Colin Bayer and found the back of the net with 12:40 to go in the first quarter to put the Mocs up 1-0. Dalton Simpson scored just four minutes late to give FSC an early 2-0 advantage.
• Lynn wasted little time in answering, scoring twice in the final five minutes of the first half to tie things up at 2-2 before the end of the first quarter. Conor Vaughan put the Knights up for good when he scored with 8:26 remaining in the first half to make it 3-2.
• The Knights would extend their lead to three goals (5-2) with 3:49 to go in the opening half, but Cody Dyer scored with 54 seconds left to make it 5-3 at the break.
• Tyler Kopen opened the second-half scoring with his 22nd goal of the season to pull the Moccasins within one (5-4) with 13:04 to go in the third, but Lynn answered with a pair of goals to push the lead back to three (7-4) less than two minutes later.
• Florida Southern would get no closer than two goals the rest of the way. Nick Gutmann scored with 2:22 to play to slice the deficit to two (10-8), but Nick Howard gave Lynn an insurance goal with 58 seconds to play as the Knights closed things out for the win.
• The Moccasins outshot the Knights 44-30, but Lynn came up with 16 saves and picked up 24 ground balls to Florida Southern's 15. The Knights also won 17-of-23 faceoffs, putting immense pressure on the Moccasin defense.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern dropped to 2-2 all-time against Lynn, including 0-2 when facing the Knights at home. The Moccasins finished their nine seasons of home games at Bryant Stadium with a 42-33 record.
• Cody Dyer and Nick Guttman led the Moccasins with two goals each, while Seth Leonard finished with four assists. Florida Southern's seniors combined for three goals, six ground balls, and three caused turnovers. Matt Lalli made eight saves in his final home game.
• Austin Jerhoff led Lynn with a game-high four goals, while Collin McClelland finished with 16 saves on the night.
• Florida Southern will see its postseason fate decided during a three-way coin flip on Sunday at noon. The Moccasins are vying with Lynn and Rollins for the final two spots in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament.
• The coin toss will consist of two rounds. In the first round, each team will select heads or tails on their toss, and the team that does not match the others will be eliminated. The second round will be a coin toss between the two remaining teams to determine the No. 3 and No. 4 seeds.