WEST PALM BEACH, FL - Florida Southern College men's lacrosse jumped out to an 8-0 lead en route to an 18-10 victory at Palm Beach Atlantic on Saturday afternoon. The Mocs (7-4, 2-0 SSC) shut out the Sailfish (6-6, 1-2 SSC) in the first quarter to grow the lead.
Sean Nolan led the Mocs offense with five goals, while Joe Appio has four goals and six assists. Nick Gutmann, Kyle Silverstein, and Zach Wilson all added a pair of goals with an additional four recording a goal in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- At the 13:33 mark of the first quarter, Silverstein put the Mocs ahead 1-0 on a feed from Nolan. After nearly, ten minutes of scoreless action the Carson Wallace gave the Mocs a 2-0 lead taking a pass from Wilson. Florida Southern closed out the quarter with man-up goals from Silverstein and Gutmann to take a 4-0 lead after the first quarter.
- Florida Southern continued to extend its lead as Nolan opened the scoring of the second quarter with three straight goals in the span of 55 seconds to put the visitors up 7-0. Less than a minute later, Wilson put the eighth consecutive goal past the Sailfish goalie. Palm Beach Atlantic found the back of the net at the 9:34 mark of the second quarter with Townsend Brown notching the first Sailfish goal of the game. PBA would go on a 4-1 run over the next six minutes starting with Brown's man-down goal. Appio would put the Mocs back up by seven before the home team doubled its goal total with two more goals. Jeff Atlas would add on his only goal of the game to give the Mocs a 10-4 lead. After a PBA goal, Appio would close out the first half with his second goal of the frame and the eventual game-winning goal. Florida Southern took an 11-5 lead in to the break.
- PBA opened the second half scoring with a pair of goals in less than a minute to cut the Mocs lead to four. Florida Southern would answer with two goals of its own in an 11-second span with goals from Appio and Gutmann. Justin Dunleavy added on another Moccasin goal late in the third quarter for a 14-7 FSC lead. PBA's Jackson Miller took the ball and put it past Max Freestone to close out the third quarter scoring. The Mocs would take a 14-8 lead into the final quarter of play.
- On a man-up opportunity, PBA put one past Freestone for the Sailfish's ninth goal of the game. The Mocs would respond with Appio's fourth goal of the game. Brown would add on the final goal of the home team to cut the Mocs lead to five. Florida Southern went on a 4-0 run to close out the game with goals from Nolan (2), Wilson, and Liam Winwood.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 2-0 all-time against Palm Beach Atlantic. Florida Southern has a win in both Lakeland and West Palm Beach*.
- Florida Southern picked up 54 groundballs to Palm Beach Atlantic's 49. Both teams converted two man-up chances while the Mocs were a perfect 2-for-2 and PBA was 2-for7 on the afternoon. The Sailfish converted a man-down goal.
- The Mocs caused 10 of the Sailfish's 23 turnovers.
- Maxwell Freestone made 16 saves on 26 shots on goal in net for Florida Southern.
- Florida Southern will host Tampa (April 3) before heading to Rollins (April 6) and Saint Leo (April 10).
*PBA began sponsoring men's lacrosse in 2018.