CLEARWATER, FL – Matthew Holmes won his second race of the meet and fifth of the season, while Brandon Dyck gave Florida Southern another win and posted season win number three to lead the Moccasin swimmers on day three of the Spartan Invitational.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Holmes and Matias Lopez had finished 1-2 in the 200-IM on Saturday and nearly did the same thing Sunday in the 400 version. After placing third and fourth during the morning prelims, they each improved their standing Sunday night, with Holmes picking up his second win of the meet. His time of 3:51.27 broke his own school record by four-tenths of a second, which he set at last year's National Finals. Holmes beat Tampa's Brett Saunders by 1.23 seconds, and Lopez was third in 3:53.37, putting him 2.1 seconds behind Holmes.
- The Moccasins were unable to score points in the 100-butterfly, where their best swimmers were Talor Hamilton and Calvin Giang. Hamilton posted a time of 51.44 seconds, and Giang came in at 51.50.
- Noah Franz gave Florida Southern a fourth-place finish and NCAA "B" time in the 200-freestyle, coming in at 1:39.21. Luka Matacin and Charles Gotsch reached the consolation finals, and Matacin fell half a second off a provisional qualifying time himself. Hunter Bains of Saint Leo won the 200-free in 1:38.02.
- The Moccasins nearly had another 1-2 showing in the 100-breast, but Saint Leo's Henrik Dahrendorff won the event in 54.13 seconds, with Luis Jasso second in 54.69 seconds, and Sean Kim third in 55.38. Both Moccasin swimmers, however, did hit NCAA "B" times.
- After barely missing in the 100-breaststroke, the Moccasins got back into the win column in the final individual race of the night as Dyck captured the 100-backstroke in an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 48.68 seconds. He beat out Saint Leo's Milosz Mikicin by 0.63 seconds, with no other swimmer within two seconds of him. It marks the third consecutive meet against Division II competition in which Dyck has won the 100-back. Hamilton also scored for Florida Southern in the 100-back by finishing third in the consolation finals.
- In the 800-freestyle relay, the Moccasins picked up their second silver medal finish of the night by posting an NCAA provisional qualifying time of 6:34.54 to finish to Indian River State, which came in at 6:31.98. The Moccasin quartet of Holmes, Lopez, Nico Campbell and Luka Planinc were 2.59 seconds ahead of Saint Leo's top team and more than eight seconds ahead of fourth-place Tampa.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Unofficially, Indian River State holds a one-point lead over Nova Southeastern at the end of day three (660-659), and Tampa is third with 469 points. Florida Southern and Saint Leo are tied for fourth with 416 points.
Monday marks the final day of the Spartan Invitational, with prelims beginning at 9:30 a.m., and the finals in six more events Monday night at 5 p.m.