MELBOURNE, Fla. - Another solid day in the water helped Florida Southern College extend its lead at the Panther Invite on Saturday at the Panther Aquatic Center at Florida Tech. The Moccasins tacked on 157 points to their total to end Day Two with 282.5 points and remained well ahead of second-place Florida Tech (224.5) and third-place Rollins (181).
The Moccasins tallied 15 top-five finishes, three of which came in relays, while Carlos Bernotti, Miguel Bernotti, Brandon Dyck, and Matias Lopez each captured first place. Southern will wrap up its weekend tomorrow when it competes in both a morning and afternoon session in the third and final day of the Panther Invite.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lopez finished first in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 3:57.82, while Carlos Bernotti was first in the 200-yard freestyle (1:40.80) and Miguel Bernotti took first place in the 100 fly (49.66). Dyck was Southern's fourth first-place finisher with a time of 48.80 in the 100-yard backstroke.
- In relay competition, the Moccasins finished second on both the 200-yard medley relay (1:31.66) and the 800 free relay (6:49.98). Southern also took fourth in the 800 free with a time of 6:54.24.
- The Mocs crushed the competition in the 100 fly as Dyck took second (49.84), JJ Saslo finished third (50.20), and Talor Hamilton came in fifth (50.97). Florida Southern also had two others finish in the top five of the 200 free as Luka Prostran took fourth (1:42.55) and Levi Parsons came in fifth (1:42.65).
- In addition to finishing third in the 100 fly, Saslo came in fifth in the 100-yard backstroke (59.19). Jacob Tuckerman (4th - 52.95) and Calvin Giang (5th - 53.00) joined Dyck in the top five of the 100 backstroke.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Each of Southern's first-place finishers posted the Mocs' top time of the season in their respective events.
- The second, third, and fifth-place finishes by Dyck, Saslo, and Hamilton in the 100 fly were good for the second, third, and fourth-best marks of the year for Southern.
- Prostran improved his mark in the 200 free by nearly seven full seconds from his previous season-best of 1:49.14, and Parsons also topped his previous season-best of 1:45.36.
- Florida Southern will wrap up the weekend with the third and final day of the Panther Invite on Sunday. The Mocs will be off for the better part of a month before competing at the Spartan Invitational in Clearwater from Dec. 16-19.