LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's basketball tips off the 2017-18 campaign this weekend with a pair of contests at the annual GSC/SSC Challenge. The Moccasins, who return five players from last year's team, will face Shorter at 4 p.m. on Friday and will take on Lee at 3 p.m. on Saturday.
The Mocs are in their fourth season under head coach Betsy Harris and will rely on a talented trio of upperclassmen (Jensen Blassage, Anja Fuchs-Robetin and Camille Giardina) to lead a young but talented squad. In addition to the returners, the Moccasins added 10 new players during the offseason including three transfers and seven freshmen.
GSC/SSC CLASSIC at LEE
DATE: Friday, Nov. 10, 2017 | 4 p.m. ET
LOCATION: Paul Dana Walker Arena (Cleveland, TN)
LIVE VIDEO: GoLeeFlames.com (free)
LIVE STATS: GoLeeFlames.com
SERIES RECORD: Florida Southern leads, 1-0
NEXT UP: at Lee | Nov. 11 at 3 p.m. ET
• Florida Southern enters its fourth year under head coach Betsy Harris and returns five players from last year's squad that advanced to a second-straight NCAA Tournament.
• Only four of FSC's current players saw time on the floor for the Mocs last season. Jensen Blassage, Anja Fuchs-Robetin, Camille Giardina and Elsa Landberg each start at least 15 games last year. Brooke Jenike, Florida Southern's fifth returning player, sat out last year due to injury.
• The Mocs brought in a total of 10 new players in the offseason, including seven freshman and three transfers. Mercedez Claybrone (Northwest Florida State), Julia Jenike (Florida Atlantic) and Jaddah Knight (St. Petersburg College) are FSC's three transfers.
• The Moccasins will also have a large international presence this year as four players from three different countries are on the roster. Fuchs-Robetin (Switzerland) and Landberg (Sweden) are back, and the team brought on Johanna Ezra (Sweden) and Marta Aranda (Spain) to provide depth and international experience.
• Florida Southern is 27-13 all-time in season openers including 3-0 under head coach Betsy Harris. The Moccasins are 7-3 in their last 10 season openers.
• The Mocs opened last season against Shorter in the GSC/SSC Challenge at Jenkins Field House, taking an 84-42 victory on Nov. 11.
• Florida Southern has not opened back-to-back seasons against the same opponent since facing Saint Leo in the season opener in 1980-81 and 1981-82.