ST. AUGUSTINE, FL - Anja Fuchs-Robetin scored 20 points for the third-straight game as Florida Southern College women's basketball cruised to a 73-51 win over Flagler in non-conference action on Monday at Flagler Gym.
The Moccasins (4-1) held the Saints (1-1) to just nine points in the second quarter to grab a double-digit lead before the half and stayed in control the entire time to pick up their third-straight win and defeat Flagler for the ninth-straight time.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• After allowing the Saints to get on the board first, Florida Southern would use a 7-0 run to take a five-point lead (7-2) and seize early momentum. However, two quick buckets by Flagler tied things at 7-7 in what was a highly-competitive first quarter. Trailing 13-11 with just over two minutes to go in the first, the Mocs would go in front when Jensen Blassage drilled a three-pointer to make it 14-13 and FSC would never trail again.
• The second quarter was where Florida Southern would gain separation. Clinging to a three-point leads (25-22) midway through the period, the Mocs outscored the Saints 10-3 over the remainder of the quarter to take a 35-25 lead into the locker room.
• In the third quarter, Flagler was able to trim the deficit to six points (39-33) but never got back on top as the Moccasins scored 22 points, their best single-quarter point total of the evening, to grab a commanding 57-42 lead heading into the final period.
• Florida Southern's defense came up big again in the fourth quarter, limiting the Saints to just nine points on 4-of-13 shooting. The Mocs never led by less than 15 points at any point in the fourth and forced Flagler into five fourth-quarter turnovers.
• The Moccasins shot 40.0 percent (24-of-60) from the floor and went an impressive 19-of-21 (90.5 percent) at the charity stripe. Flagler was held to just 35.7 percent (20-of-56) and connected on just 9-of-13 free-throw attempts. Florida Southern outrebounded the Saints 40-35, forced 19 Flagler turnovers, and tallied six total blocks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 22-4 all-time against Flagler and defeated the Saints for the ninth-straight time. The Moccasins are now 10-2 when taking on the Saints in St. Augustine and have won 10-straight road games against Flagler.
• Anja Fuchs-Robetin led the Mocs with 20 points and nine rebounds while Camille Giardina poured in 18 and Jensen Blassage dished out eight assists. Jaddah Knight added nine points off the bench and Jirah Ards had seven points in 22 minutes of action.
• Fuchs-Robetin is the first Moccasin to score 20 points in three-straight games since Michaela Hawley accomplished the feat during the 2011-12 campaign. Blassage, who scored her 1,000th career point on Saturday, increased her career total to 1,007 and needs nine more to tie Allison Gerdeman (1992-96) for 20th in school history. Tarra Blackwell (1994-98) holds the school record at 2,037 points.
• Florida Southern will play two games at the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic this week. The Mocs take on Mount Olive on Friday at 1 p.m. and finish the weekend at 1 p.m. on Saturday against Johnson C. Smith. The Mocs head back to St. Petersburg on Nov. 29 to take on Eckerd in Sunshine State Conference action.