WEST PALM BEACH, FL - Anja Fuchs-Robetin scored a season-high 30 points as Florida Southern College women's basketball grabbed its 10th-straight victory with a 76-46 thumping of Sunshine State Conference rival Palm Beach Atlantic on Wednesday at Rubin Arena. The No. 15 Moccasins (13-1, 6-0 SSC) led from start to finish as they remained perfect in conference action and topped the Sailfish (2-10, 0-6) for the eighth-straight meeting.
Fuchs-Robetin went an incredible 14-of-16 (87.5 percent) from the floor as Florida Southern knocked down better than 50.0 percent of its shots for the second-straight game. The Mocs also got solid performances from Chesney Campbell and Katerina Pazzaglia-Khomenko, who each scored in double figures to help keep Southern atop the SSC standings.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Florida Southern opened the contest by scoring the first two buckets and jumped out to a 17-9 lead with just two minutes to play in the first quarter. Despite the strong start, the Mocs would have to wait one more quarter to blow the game open as they led 21-13 after one period. Fuchs-Robetin scored 12 of her 30 points in the first quarter.
- 2nd Quarter | The Moccasin defense turned up the pressure in the second quarter as it held Palm Beach Atlantic to just six points on 1-of-9 shooting from the floor. The Sailfish scored their other four points at the free-throw line as Florida Southern outscored PBA 18-6 in the period to take a 20-point lead (39-19) into the locker room at the half. The Mocs began the quarter by holding Palm Beach Atlantic scoreless for the first two minutes and had another three-minute stretch later in the period where the Sailfish failed to put up a single point.
- 3rd Quarter | Fuchs-Robetin came on strong again in the third quarter with 10 points as the Moccasins outscored PBA 21-13 in the third to extend their lead to 60-32 by the end of the quarter. The Mocs went 9-of-13 from the floor in the period and never saw their lead dip below 18 points as they held a 28-point lead after three periods of play.
- 4th Quarter | The big lead allowed the Mocs to rest the majority of their starters in the fourth quarter while getting valuable playing time for their bench players. Florida Southern led by as many as 32 points and outscored the Sailfish 16-14 in the final period en route to the 30-point victory.
- Florida Southern shot 52.6 percent (30-of-57) from the floor while holding PBA to just 30.8 percent (16-of-52). The Moccasins won the rebounding battle by a 41-24 tally and outscored the Sailfish 38-18 in the paint. Fuchs-Robetin had six rebounds, three assists, and two steals by game's end, while Campbell (13 points) and Pazzaglia-Kohmenko (10) chipped in on offense. Campbell pulled down nine boards while Pazzaglia-Khomenko had seven. PBA was paced by Jonika Garvin's 21 points, but no other Sailfish player scored more than six.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 23-2 all-time against Palm Beach Atlantic, winning its eighth-straight in the all-time series. The Moccasins are 12-1 when facing the Sailfish on the road. The victory was No. 98 for Mocs' head coach Betsy Harris at the helm of the program. She is just two shy of becoming the fourth coach in Florida Southern history to win 100 games as the head coach of the Moccasins. She is 98-36 in five seasons at FSC and 166-63 in her eight seasons as a collegiate head coach.
- Fuchs-Robetin pushed her career scoring total to 1,295 points to inch closer to the top 10 in school history. She currently ranks 13th in the program record books and needs just 101 more points to move into 10th place. She has scored at least 20 points in five of the past six games for the Mocs.
- The Moccasins' 13-1 start is their best through 14 games since opening the 2015-16 season with a 14-1 record through their first 15 games.
- Florida Southern will head to Barry on Saturday before returning home to take on Eckerd on Jan. 16.