LAKELAND, FL - Camille Giardina and Anja Fuchs-Robetin combined to scored 40 points to lead Florida Southern College women's basketball to its 17th-straight win, 72-56, over Florida Tech on Wednesday evening at Streamline Sale Arena at Jenkins Field House. The No. 12 Moccasins (20-1, 13-0 SSC) used a 20-point first quarter to take control of the game against the Panthers (7-14, 3-10) and remain perfect in Sunshine State Conference action.
Florida Tech got in the board first with a three-pointer in the opening minute of play, but the Mocs used a quick 7-0 run to jump in front and never trailed after the 8:27 mark of the first quarter. Florida Southern's current 17-game winning streak is now the second-best in school history, trailing on the record-setting 1994-95 squad's run of 26-straight wins.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- 1st Quarter | Florida Tech struck first when Amanda Allen hit a three early in the first, but the Panther lead was just a blip on the radar as Florida Southern responded with seven-straight points to go up 7-3 on Giardina's three with 7:38 to go in the first. The Mocs grabbed their first double-digit lead of the contest (20-8) when Fuchs-Robetin connected from beyond the arc at the 2:35 mark of the quarter, and the Moccasins found themselves with a commanding 26-12 lead after the opening period.
- 2nd Quarter | The Panthers scored the first six points of the second quarter to slice the deficit to eight (26-18), but the Mocs rebounded with five quick points to go up 31-18 on Mercedez Claybrone's jumper with 6:55 to go in the first half. The Mocs led by as many as 20 points (41-21) in the second quarter and went to the locker room with a 41-24 halftime lead.
- 3rd Quarter | In the third quarter, the Moccasins outscored the Panthers 16-15 as Fuchs-Robetin had eight points by herself to help give the Mocs a 57-39 advantage with just one quarter to go.
- 4th Quarter | Florida Tech made one final push in the fourth quarter when it almost cut the deficit back to single digits (59-47) at the 6:38 mark, but could get no closer as the Mocs finished the game on a 13-9 run to make the final 72-56.
- Fuchs-Robetin led all scorers with 23 points, while Giardina added 17 and snagged a team-high eight rebounds. The Moccasins shot 49.1 percent (26-of-53) from the floor while holding Florida Tech to just 37.3 percent (19-of-51).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Florida Southern improved to 44-28 all-time against Florida Tech, including a 24-11 mark when facing the Panthers at home. The Moccasins have won each of their last four meetings against FIT.
- Giardina pushed her career scoring total to 1,667 points. She needs 119 more to move into sixth in school history in career scoring. Fuchs-Robetin now has 1,445 points. She is 42 points shy of moving into a tie for eighth place.
- During Florida Southern's win streak, the Moccasins are outscoring opponents by an average of 22.9 points per game. Florida Southern has won 16 games by double digits this season, including 11 by 20 or more.
- Florida Southern will heads to Daytona Beach for a showdown with Embry-Riddle on Feb. 9. The Mocs return home to face Palm Beach Atlantic on Feb. 13.