LAKELAND, FL - Florida Southern College women's lacrosse returned to its winning ways with a 22-8 victory over the visiting Trojans of Mount Olive. The Mocs (9-2, 1-1 SSC) quickly found the scoreboard as freshmen Brenna Smith opened the scoring at the 29:23 mark over the Trojans (8-4, 5-1 CC).
Riley Bannatyne for the second-straight game led the offense with five goals, Gracie Maganzini and Aubriana Benedetto each added three goals. Molly Berend, Maliah Benedetto, Grace Glinecki, and Ashley Norberg all recorded a pair of goals while three more Mocs found the back of the net.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Smith opened the scoring just 37 seconds into the game. Norberg followed that up with her first goal of the afternoon as she took a feed from Smith to give the Mocs a 2-0 lead. Mount Olive answered Norberg's goal with a free position goal at the 23:49 mark of the first half. M. Benedetto put the Mocs back up by two with an unassisted goal. Bannatyne followed with her first of five goals on the day on an assist from M. Benedetto. After a Mount Olive goal, the Mocs began a 6-0 run to take a 10-2 lead. Bannatyne began the run with a goal at the 20:19 mark. Sarah Grady, Maganzini, and Julia Couch all added goals before Bannatyne added two more goals. Bannatyne slid her second goal on the ground through the legs of the UMO goalie to put the Mocs up 10-2. Over the final eight and a half minutes of the first half the two teams would trade goals as the Mocs went on a 4-3 run to take a 14-6 lead at halftime.
• Bannatyne wasted no time as she put the Mocs up 15-6 at the 29:19 mark of the second half. Norberg put the Mocs up by ten and turned on the running clock at the 28:15 mark in the second half. Less than two minutes later, Glinecki added another goal for the Mocs before a ten-minute scoring drought by the Mocs. Berend ended the scoring drought with her second goal of the day. Following a goal by A. Benedetto, Maganzini secured the sixth 20-goal game for the Mocs as she extended the FSC lead to 20-6. A. Benedetto added on two more goals for the Mocs before Tiffany Lee closed out the game with a free position goal with 20 seconds remaining in the game.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 4-0 all-time against Mount Olive. Florida Southern is 3-0 in Lakeland and 1-0 in Mount Olive.
• Florida Southern won 28 of 31 draw controls.
• Florida Southern picked up 16 ground balls to 8 by Mount Olive. The Mocs converted 11 successful clears on 16 attempts.
• The Mocs fired off 37 shots, 30 of which were on goal. 16 of the Trojans 20 shots were on goal. Florida Southern caused nine turnovers as Mount Olive had 13 turnovers on the day.
• Florida Southern opens April with a conference game hosting Rollins (April 3) and then hosts Embry-Riddle (April 6) for senior day. The Mocs final four games of the season are all on the road as they head to Saint Leo (April 9). FSC will take a trip to Ohio for its final two non-conference games at Tiffin (April 12) and Findlay (April 14). The regular season ends with the Mocs at Palm Beach Atlantic (April 20).