WEST PALM BEACH, FL - Florida Southern College women's lacrosse closed out the 2019 regular season with a 22-2 victory over Palm Beach Atlantic. The Mocs (15-2, 5-1 SSC) opened the game on a 9-0 run to defeat the Sailfish (5-9, 0-6 SSC).
The victory secured the Mocs fifth straight regular-season SSC title.
Ashley Norberg and Riley Bannatyne each recorded three goals to lead the Florida Southern offense. Aubriana Benedetto, Lizzy Lynch, and Grace Glinecki each added a pair of goals while an additional ten Moccasins tallied a goal in the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Bannatyne wasted no time getting the Moccasins on the board as she scored just 32 seconds into the first half as the Mocs would open the game on a 9-0 run. Aubriana Benedetto added another goal on a free position shot for a 2-0 Mocs lead. Lizzy Lynch made it 3-0 as she took a feed from Sam Keesey. After a five minute scoring-drought, Dani Bursinger made it 4-0 in favor of the visitors. Marina Jozokos took a feed from Bursinger to make it 5-0 FSC. Maliah Benedetto added on her first goal of the day off a pass from Bannatyne to make it 6-0. Goals from Brenna Smith, Sarah Grady, and Bannatyne would give the Mocs a 9-0 lead to open the game. Palm Beach Atlantic would put its first goal past the Mocs goalie at the 15:33 mark of the first half. Florida Southern would close out the half on a 6-0 run. Ashley Norberg followed up a Julia Couch goal to give the Mocs a 10 goal advantage off a feed from Bursinger. Norberg and Bursinger teamed up again for the 12th Moccasin goal. Florida Southern would close out the first half with goals from Catherine DeKorte, Bannatyne and Claudia Liner. The Mocs would take a 15-1 lead into the half.
• The Mocs would continue their run as they opened the second half with a 3-0 run as A. Benedetto opened the scoring off a feed from Bursinger. In similar fashion as the first half, Lynch followed Benedetto with her own goal to give the Mocs a 17-1 lead. The Mocs close out a 9-0 run over the two halves with a goal from Grace Glinecki off a pass from Couch. Florida Southern got a woman-up goal from Glinecki to take a 19-2 lead after a PBA put its second goal of the game in the back of the net. Norberg followed with her third goal of the game as the Mocs hit the 20 goal mark for the eighth time this season. KK Hutchings added on another goal for the Mocs at the 10:58 mark for a 21-2 lead in favor of the visitors. Becca Hill added the Mocs 22 goal with seven seconds remaining.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 2-0 all-time against Palm Beach Atlantic with wins in both West Palm Beach and Lakeland.
• Florida Southern won 18 of 25 draw controls.
• Florida Southern picked up 21 ground balls to 12 by Palm Beach Atlantic. The Mocs converted a perfect six successful clears on six attempts. PBA was successful on two of 16 clear attempts.
• The Mocs fired off 34 shots to four by the Sailfish. Florida Southern caused 16 turnovers as PBA turned the ball over 20 times.
• The Mocs will wait to find out where they will be seeded in the upcoming SSC tournament. Stay tuned to FSCMocs.com and FSC twitter for seeding information.
*Due to a tie in the standings with Tampa and Rollins, the three teams will be crowned tri-champions.