VALDOSTA, GA - Top-seeded Sasha Nionova advanced to the semifinals of the ITA Small College Regional Championships held here today at Valdosta State University before being upset 6-4, 6-3 by fifth-seeded Paula Coyos of the University of West Florida.
SINGLES (Saturday and Sunday)
- Nionova earlier defeated Embry-Riddle's Alexis Marshall, 6-2, 6-3 and then was beating Lynn's Tereza Hejlova 3-1 before the Knights' player had to retire due to injury. Nionova continued to roll with a 6-4, 6-1 win over West Florida's Valaria Mantilla.
- Mantilla earlier defeated 15th-seeded Lorena Rionda, 6-2, 7-5. Rionda as trying to come back from an injury that forced her to retire from a match on Friday.
- Natalija Popovic defeated Delta State's Charlotte Le Flohic, 7-6 (5), 6-1, and then topped Florida Tech's Kayla Hergott, 6-3, 7-6 (3) before falling 6-4, 7-5 to Florida Tech's Erin Egoroff in the quarterfinals of the back draw.
- Selin Devrimci defaulted her match against Barry's Mara Cerrini.
DOUBLES (Saturday and Sunday)
- Nionova and Nina Schwab defeated Eva Agasse and Alexandra Yeardly, 8-2, before defaulting to Maja Pindelska and Marta Vicens Miguel in the quarterfinals of the back draw.
- Devrimci and Rionda were defeated, 6-4, by Paula Coyos and Jordana Lujan of West Florida.
- Florida Southern will wrap up its Fall Season on Oct. 6-8 at the Macon Gridiron Classic in Macon, GA.