MIAMI SHORES, FL - Florida Southern College volleyball finished off the regular season with its 18th-straight victory, a 3-0 sweep of Sunshine State Conference rival Barry on Saturday at the Barry Health and Sports Center. The No. 22 Moccasins (25-6, 19-1 SSC) topped the Buccaneers (10-15, 6-14) for the second time this season, and finished the season with the most conference wins in program history and the team's longest winning streak since 1990.
After earning the top spot in the most recent NCAA South Region rankings, the Mocs are in line to host the NCAA South Regional for the first time in nearly 30 years. The NCAA South Regional will take place from Nov. 30 - Dec. 2.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida Southern fell behind 5-1 in the first set and looked as if it might be in early trouble, but the Mocs went on a 7-1 run to take the lead (7-6) and never trailed again. While Barry was able to tie things up at 9-9, the Moccasins would score 10 of the next 11 points to take complete control of the first set. The scoring run included eight-straight points that turned an 11-10 lead into a 19-10 advantage. It would be all the momentum that Florida Southern would need as it rolled to a 25-17 first-set win.
• The Buccaneers would also snag an early lead (2-0) in the second set, but the Mocs again used a scoring run in the middle of the set to create separation. With the score tied at 9-9, the Moccasins scored six in a row to swing momentum in their favor. Florida Southern ended the set with a 9-0 run to take a 25-11 set victory and a 2-0 match lead.
• In the third set, Florida Southern led wire to wire, jumping out to a 2-0 lead. The Moccasins used a 6-0 run early on to turn a slim 6-5 lead into a 12-6 advantage. Barry was able to get within two points (16-14) midway through the third, but the Mocs never let the lead slip away and won the third set by a 25-18 final.
• Anna Tovo led the Mocs with 14 kills while Nicole Mattson finished with 13. Bethany Besancenez tallied 32 assists and 13 digs, and Allie Geary had a team-best four total blocks. The Moccasins hit .333 on the attack and held the Buccaneers to just .113, and finished with an 8-3 advantage in blocks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
• Florida Southern improved to 40-32 all-time against Barry, defeating the Buccaneers for the fifth-straight time. The Moccasins finished the regular season with 25 victories for the third time in the past four years, won the most conference games in program history (19), and posted the longest winning streak since 1990 when the Mocs set a school record with 33-straight wins.
• Besancenez pushed her career assist total to 3,670. She currently ranks sixth in school history and needs 145 more to move into fifth place. Tovo increased her career kill total to 1,530. She needs 161 more to tie head coach Jill Stephens for third in school history. Allie Geary increased her career block total to 366 to move into eighth place in school history.
• Florida Southern is in line to host the NCAA South Regional for the first time since 1990. The South Regional will take place from Nov. 30 - Dec. 2, with the winner advancing to the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament. Sites for the regional rounds of the NCAA Tournament will be announced on Monday.