TAMPA, Fla. - Florida Southern College volleyball fell 3-0 to the reigning national champion University of Tampa on Tuesday night at the Martinez Center. The Moccasins (2-10, 0-5 SSC) were unable to contain a potent offensive outing from the Spartans (7-6, 3-2 SSC) that saw them hit .427 for the night. The Mocs will hit the road again on Saturday for a conference matchup against Rollins at 4 p.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Set one saw a close contest as neither side led by more than four points during the course of the entire set. The razor-thin margin resulted in tie scores at 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 and 22 points a-piece, with the Spartans using a 4-0 run to win the first set, 25-22.
- The Moccasins gained a slight edge to start the second set, eking a 9-6 lead and taking advantage of four Spartan errors. Tampa responded with a 4-2 run to tie the match (11-11) before the Mocs mounted a 7-3 scoring run that gave them the 17-14 lead. Tampa, however, rebounded with an 11-2 run, ending with three-straight kills from Katie McKiel to end the set 25-19 in favor of the home side.
- UT set the tone early in the third set, quickly tallying a 13-1 score line on eight Spartan kills. FSC did its best to keep the score close but could not overcome the initial Spartan offensive performance, falling 25-10 to Tampa in the third set.
- Lena Bondar led the team with 10 kills, followed by Rachael Martin with seven and Tierra Porter with six. Porter tied Bondar with the game-high for blocks (3) as the squad recorded five total for the evening. Raeley Matthews led the team with six digs while Mika Garza recorded five of her own in addition to her 23 assists.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tampa now leads the all-time series, 71-58. The Moccasins are still 6-3 in the last nine matchups.
- Bondar recorded her second-straight double-digit kill performance (10) and her third of the season. She is now third for the team in total kills this season (84).
- Porter is now top 15 in the conference in blocks per set, with 30 total blocks and a blocks per set average of 0.79.
- The Moccasins will travel to Winter Park, Fla. for an afternoon match against Rollins on Saturday at 4 p.m.