LAKELAND, Fla. – Ali Travis, Annie Collins and Lena Bondar all had career nights as Florida Southern College volleyball won a five-set thriller, 3-2, over Rollins College on Senior Night at Streamline Sale Arena at Jenkins Field House on Thursday evening. The Moccasins (7-19, 3-13 SSC) earned the season sweep over the Tars (8-18, 3-13 SSC) for the sixth-straight season. The match was the last home match for seniors Collins, Courtney Charneco, Buse Ene and Anica Popadic and graduate student Bondar.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first set saw Florida Southern gain a slight edge in a 5-4 lead before cruising on a 12-1 run to take a 17-5 lead. The Tars would try and close the gap but the Moccasins held strong, taking set one, 25-17. Travis led the Mocs in the first set with seven kills on 15 attempts.
- The Tars responded in set two early, taking a 12-7 lead and forcing a Moccasins timeout. Florida Southern would pull close and tie the match at 22, but three-straight points from Rollins gave them a 25-22 second set win.
- The Moccasins rebounded in set three, dashing out a 12-5 lead and forcing a Rollins timeout. The Florida Southern lead would decrease at times, but the Mocs earned set point at 24-16, and despite a 5-0 Tars run secured the set, 25-21.
- Southern continued their run to start the fourth set, earning a 13-8 lead. The Tars then went on a 9-0 run to take a 17-14 lead. Rollins would hold on to take set four, 25-22.
- Set five saw a tense back-and-forth affair as the two sides split points. Rollins looked to have the advantage with a 13-11 lead, but four-straight points gave the Moccasins a 15-13 fifth-set win and a 3-2 victory over Rollins
- Travis was on fire with 27 kills and four blocks, while Bondar had a career night with 19 kills. Annie Collins recorded a career-high 60 assists. Beatrice Formilan continued to dominate defensively as she recorded 22 digs on the night. Seniors Popadic and Charneco had strong showings with four and three blocks, respectively.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Southern now leads the all-time series 93-8 over the Tars. This includes a 47-3 record at home against Rollins.
- Collins' 60 assists are the most in her career and the most for any Moccasin this season.
- Travis' 27 kills are the most for any Moccasin this season, as well as the most since Nicole Mattson had 31 against Catawba on Sept. 4, 2018. Travis has now recorded double-digit digs in six-straight matches. In that span, she has tallied 100 kills and is averaging 4.00 kills per set.
- Formilan has totaled 222 digs in the past 11 matches, averaging 5.26 digs per set. If the season ended today her average of 4.87 digs per set would place her third in program history for a single season behind leader Courtney Veasey's 2004 season (5.33).
- Southern will have a short break before hitting the road next weekend for matches against Nova Southeastern (Friday, Nov. 15) and Lynn (Saturday, Nov. 16).